This healthy chicken tikka uses lower-fat swaps to keep both the fat and calorie count low. Swaps include low-fat natural yogurt, skinless chicken breasts, and half-fat crème fraîche.
This tasty and healthy chicken tikka is just 136 calories per portion which makes it ideal if you're on a calorie-counting diet or wanting to eat a little healthier. This dish uses lots of different spices like ginger, garlic, cumin, and red chili to flavour the chicken. It takes five minutes to prep and another 25 minutes to cook this delicious, healthy chicken tikka.
- 3 tablespoons low-fat natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon red chilli paste
- 450g/1lb skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves, chopped
- To make this chicken curry, mix the yogurt, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and chilli paste and spoon this mixture over the chicken. Allow marinating for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the cumin and chopped onion and cook on a medium heat until brown.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and add the chicken to the pan. Cook on a high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the fenugreek, tomato purée, garam masala and cumin coriander powder.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and coriander before serving.
Top tips for making healthy chicken tikka
This dish can be served in pitta bread (slit down one side) with lettuce and sliced onions as a filling lunch or light dinner. You can also serve with brown rice or quinoa if you're trying to look for a healthier option.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published