This flavoursome Indian curry, packed with fresh herbs and spices is tastier and healthier than a takeaway and is ready in 35 mins or the time it takes for delivery. Packed with plenty of spice – this chicken curry recipe uses chillies, cumin seeds and turmeric to give it a kick, while Greek-style yogurt to give it a lovely creaminess too. Try it this week instead of a takeaway and you’ll be converted!
- 100g (31⁄2oz) fresh coriander, including stalks, chopped
- 100g (31⁄2oz) fresh fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 6 spring onions, chopped, plus more to garnish
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2tsp chopped fresh root ginger
- 5 fresh hot green chillies, chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 3tbsp Greek-style yogurt
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets, diced
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp salt
- 2tbsp single cream
- 200g (7oz) peeled and de-veined cooked king prawns
- To make this chicken curry (opens in new tab), put the fresh coriander, fenugreek, spring onions, garlic, ginger and chillies in a blender and whizz to a purée.
- In a large saucepan over a medium heat, dry-toast the cumin seeds, stirring, for a couple of mins until they become aromatic, then add the butter. Once the butter has melted, tip in the herb purée and 1 tbsp of the yogurt and continue cooking until the fat separates and starts to float on top.
- Add the chicken, garam marsala, turmeric and salt. Stir in the remaining yogurt and the cream and simmer gently for 12 mins.
- Lastly, add the prawns and cook for a further 2–3 mins until the prawns are just heated through.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped spring onions.
Top Tip for making Indian green chicken curry
Fenugreek leaves add a slightly bitter taste to this curry. You'll find them in speciality Indian food stores but you can leave them out if you can't find them