This quick couscous recipe is similar to a kedgeree but as it uses couscous rather than rice it's much quicker to whip up. A great quick and healthy family meal
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g packet frozen kipper fillets with butter, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 175g mixed frozen peas and green beans, thawed
- 200g couscous
- 400ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, soft boiled for 7 minutes
- Heat the oil with the butter from the pack of fish in a frying pan. Add the diced oinoin and allow it to soften over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, or garam masala, the vegetables and the skinned kipper flesh, broken up into chunks.
- Sprinkle in the couscous and pour in the stock. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture to stand for 5 minutes. When the stock has been absorbed, give it all a gentle stir and then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, shell the eggs, cut them into quarters and add to the couscous. Serve warm or cold.
Top Tip for making Kipper couscous
This dish works well with any smoked or frozen fish - so to save money, look out for special offers in supermarkets or at your fishmonger.
Sue McMahon is a former Food and Recipes Writer at GoodTo and Cooking Editor at Woman's Weekly. Her primary passion is cakes and Sue regularly travels the world teaching cake decorating. Her biggest achievement to date was winning the Prix d’honneur at La Salon Culinaire International de Londres beating over 1,200 other entries.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
Why is there an egg shortage in the UK? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why is there an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the ongoing issue.
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated