This quick couscous recipe is similar to a kedgeree but as it uses couscous rather than rice it's much quicker to whip up. A great quick and healthy family meal
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g packet frozen kipper fillets with butter, thawed
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2tsp curry powder or garam masala
- 175g mixed frozen peas and green beans, thawed
- 200g couscous
- 400ml hot fish or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggs, soft boiled for 7 minutes
- Heat the oil with the butter from the pack of fish in a frying pan. Add the diced oinoin and allow it to soften over a moderate heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, or garam masala, the vegetables and the skinned kipper flesh, broken up into chunks.
- Sprinkle in the couscous and pour in the stock. Turn off the heat and leave the mixture to stand for 5 minutes. When the stock has been absorbed, give it all a gentle stir and then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, shell the eggs, cut them into quarters and add to the couscous. Serve warm or cold.
Top Tip for making Kipper couscous
This dish works well with any smoked or frozen fish - so to save money, look out for special offers in supermarkets or at your fishmonger.
Sue McMahon is a former Food and Recipes Writer at GoodTo and Cooking Editor at Woman's Weekly. Her primary passion is cakes and Sue regularly travels the world teaching cake decorating. Her biggest achievement to date was winning the Prix d’honneur at La Salon Culinaire International de Londres beating over 1,200 other entries.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Make this classic lasagne with layers of lean beef mince and tomato sauce. It's an easy Italian lasagne recipe the whole family will love...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Gordon Ramsay’s beef Wellington
Gordon Ramsay's beef Wellington recipe looks impressive and takes just 20 mins to prep. Made with beef fillet, mushrooms, and readymade pastry...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
These 7 everyday clothing items could get drivers FINED up to £5,000 - do you wear them at the wheel?
By Selina Maycock • Published
Kate Middleton and Prince William's romantic hotel dinner order will surprise you
By Emma Shacklock • Published