Our baking blogger Maxine Owen is baking around the world. This time she's made a mouth-watering French inspired lavender and lemon drizzle cake. This cake combines two strong flavours together to make one delicious bake that is perfect for sharing. When sourcing the lavender it's best to buy from the supermarket or deli. If you don't want to make a loaf you could make a round cake instead, just change the cake tin to one of a similar size. For a classic version, see Mary Berry's lemon drizzle cake (opens in new tab).
- 1tbsp dried lavender
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp salt
- 175g softened butter
- 175g golden caster sugar 3 eggs
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
For the syrup:
- 100g caster sugar
- 2tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1tsp dried lavender
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/190°C fan oven/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then add all the other cake ingredients, making sure to use a large bowl. Mix with a hand blender until light and fluffy. Bake for around 1 hour, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking make the syrup. Mix the sugar, lemon juice and zest together then add the lavender.
- When you take the cake out of the oven poke the cake all over with a skewer, then drizzle the glaze over the top. Leave to cool until the cake is cool and the topping is set and crisp.
Top Tip for making Lavender and lemon drizzle cake
Store this cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days
You might also like...
Mary Berry's fairy cakes (opens in new tab)
Mary Berry's chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Our easy butterfly buns recipe is perfect for kids. We've kept our butterfly cake recipe simple - just slice the tops off and fill with buttercream and jam...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake
Make a perfectly rich chocolate cake with luxurious chocolate icing using Mary Berry's chocolate cake recipe...
By Mary Berry • Published
Looking for cake recipes? To celebrate the Royal Wedding, Julia Speare-Cole, a relative of Queen Victoria's close friend, has teamed up with Stoves and celebrity chef Brian Turner to create a Catherine sponge, using Kate Middleton's favourite ingredients
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Make this Mother's Day one to remember with John Lewis and AirPods
By Emily Stedman • Published
Morrisons launches special ‘Pocket Money Menu’ so children can pay on Mother's Day
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published