Make the most of the fresh flavours of summer with this Mediterranean sea bass recipe. Packed with healthy, protein-rich fish and coming in at just 377 calories per serving, it's a great healthy meal that the whole family can enjoy. Choose the ripest tomatoes and best-quality oil you can afford for the fullest flavour.
- 2 bulbs fennel, sliced
- 1-2tbsp green pesto
- 75g butter, softened
- 4 sea bass, heads removed and gutted
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 150-200g cherry vine tomatoes
- 75-100g pitted black olives
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Cook the fennel in boiling water for about 5-7 mins. Drain it well and spread it out in the base of a roasting tin.
- Mix the pesto into the butter. Slash the top flesh of the fish and spread some butter in each of the slashes, then place the fish on the fennel. Drizzle over some olive oil and bake for 10 mins.
- Add the tomatoes, cut into small bunches, and olives, the drizzle over a little more oil and bake for a further 10-15 mins, or until the fish is cooked. Remove from the oven and serve at once with garnished basil leaves.
Top Tip for making Mediterranean sea bass
Sea bass is cooked when the flesh turns a rich, creamy white and flakes easily.
Sue McMahon is a former Food and Recipes Writer at GoodTo and Cooking Editor at Woman's Weekly. Her primary passion is cakes and Sue regularly travels the world teaching cake decorating. Her biggest achievement to date was winning the Prix d’honneur at La Salon Culinaire International de Londres beating over 1,200 other entries.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Mediterranean sea bass
Make the most of the flavours of summer with this Mediterranean sea bass - it's packed with protein-rich fish and comes in at just 377 calories per serving.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Tomato shortage 2023: Why are supermarkets running out of tomatoes in the UK?
As shoppers moan a lack of tomatoes in supermarkets, we've explained the reasons behind the tomato shortage affecting the UK in 2023.
By Emily Stedman • Last updated
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Adele's exciting summer plans with Rich Paul rumored to include huge event
Adele is reportedly engaged to boyfriend Rich Paul after nearly two years of dating
By Emma Dooney • Published