Nadia's teriyaki salmon with a mango salsa twist is an easy to make family meal packed full of flavour. For a speedy mid-week meal that's ready in just 20 minutes, look no further. This Asian-inspired dish is low in calories and saturated fat - a perfect light and healthy dish if you're looking to shed some pounds.
Nadiya Hussain's recipe for teriyaki glazed salmon is a real winner and a great way to get protein into your diet. Former Great British Bake Off winner Nadia says: 'A good teriyaki is made even more delicious when the fish is left to sit in the sauce overnight in the fridge, but there is nothing to say that it can’t be instant. It can, and it should be. We can have delicious food and eat it straight away. Best of all, you can make this, have your dinner and put some fillets into the freezer for another day. And while the fish cooks you can mix up a quick mango salsa to go with it.'
For the teriyaki salmon
- 150ml water
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon ground ginger
- ½ tablespoon garlic granules
- ½ tablespoon chilli flakes
- 4 salmon fillets
- 250g ready-cooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- White sesame seeds (optional)
For the salsa
- 500g mango chunks or a 420g tin of mango, drained
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon dried coriander or a small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, frozen or fresh
- Start by making the teriyaki sauce. Put the water into a bowl with the cornflour and stir until the water is cloudy. Now add the soy sauce, honey, fish sauce, ginger, garlic granules and chilli flakes, and stir. Add the salmon fillets and leave them to sit while you make the mango salsa.
- Chop the mango into bite-size pieces and put into a bowl. Mix in the zest and juice of the lime and the coriander. If you are using fresh chilli, chop it finely and stir it in, or, if you have some frozen red chillies in the freezer, simply grate one in and mix.
- Now cook the rice in the microwave as per the instructions.
- Place a non-stick frying pan (ideally one with a lid, but a sheet of foil will do) on a medium to high heat and add the oil. Add 2 salmon fillets, along with half the teriyaki liquid. Leave the rest in the bowl for now.
- Cook for 2 minutes on one side, depending on the thickness of the fillet, then flip over and cook for 2 minutes on the other. Make sure that with all the honey in the sauce it isn’t sticking or getting too thick – if it is, just turn the heat down and give the sauce a stir. Turn the heat off and cover with a lid or a piece of foil. The trapped heat will steam the thickest part of the fillet.
- Before serving, put the remaining liquid and the other 2 fillets into a freezer bag and stick it in the freezer ready for the next time you want teriyaki. Serve up the rice alongside the mango salsa, top with the rest of the salmon, and drizzle over the sauce with a small sprinkling of sesame seeds. This tasty teriyaki salmon recipe is taken from Nadiya's cookbook Time to Eat, out on 11th July. Nadiya’s Time to Eat TV show is currently airing at 8pm on Mondays on BBC Two.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and salmon pasta
This superfood-packed broccoli and salmon pasta recipe is full of protein and contains a third of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Salmon pasta with crème fraîche
This salmon pasta with leeks, broccoli, green beans and parsley is easy to make and tastes delicious - plus it gives you a healthy dose of omega-3 too.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Smoked salmon stir-fry
A simple recipe using the evocative flavour of smoked salmon with tasty oriental flavours. This easy stir-fry is ready in under 30 mins
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published