Fancy a cake with a twist? Ditch the sponge and opt for a chocolate mousse cake instead. This chocolate orange version is the perfect cake for those times when you want something a little different to your average chocolate cake (opens in new tab). Made from a simple chocolate orange mousse (Jaffa cake fans take note!) it requires no baking at all. You can achieve a rich, smooth and utterly delicious mousse cake without setting foot near the oven. Impress your friends and family with this orange chocolate mousse cake today.
For the base:
- 60g (2oz) dark chocolate
- 30g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 2 tsp golden syrup
- 150g (5oz) shortcake biscuits
For the filling:
- 100g bar dark chocolate
- 100g bar orange-flavoured chocolate (we used Lindt Excellence Orange Intense Dark Noir)
- 100g bar Belgian milk chocolate
- 5 tbs double cream
- 4 med eggs, separated
- 2 tbs golden caster sugar
For the topping
- 5 tbs double cream
20cm (8in) loose-based cake tin
- To make the base: Put the chocolate, butter and syrup in a small pan and let it melt gently. Whizz the biscuits in a food processor to make crumbs. Add the chocolate mixture, mix well, then spoon it into the tin and press down firmly. Chill while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Grate some of the dark chocolate (about 2 tbs) and set aside for the decoration. Put the rest of the bar, along with the other 2 bars of chocolate and the cream, into a large bowl over a pan of simmering water, but don’t stir. Take off the heat, stir and leave for 5 mins, then beat in the egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites to a stable foam, then whisk in the sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Fold the whites into the chocolate mixture. Spoon it on the base and chill for 3-4 hrs or overnight until set.
- When ready to serve, take out of the tin and finish with the topping.
- To make the topping: Whip the cream, and put 14-16 small spoonfuls, evenly spaced, around the edge. Decorate with a sprinkling of the reserved grated dark chocolate. Slice to serve.
Top Tip for making Orange chocolate mousse cake
We also like using Maya gold chocolate in this recipe for its spicy flavour
You might also like...
Chocolate orange cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate brownies (opens in new tab)
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.