Try this delicious Oriental chicken noodle soup recipe is from Woman's Weekly. This quick soup taking only 10 mins to prep and 15 mins to cook, is infused with ginger and chilli and serves 4 people. When you're under the weather, you can't get better than hot chicken soup to nurse you back to good health again. A portion of this healthy Chinese (opens in new tab) soup works out at only 287 calories per serving. This soup is really easy to make and is cheap too. If you're looking to cut the cost of this soup down even more, use pre-cooked chicken thigh.
- 1.5litres (2½ pints) chicken stock
- 5cm (2in) piece fresh root ginger, unpeeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled and bruised
- 1 red chilli, halved and deseeded
- 2 large, or 4 small, pak choi
- 100g (3½oz) medium egg noodles
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- 125g (4oz) cooked chicken, finely shredded
- Good dash of soy sauce
- 2 star anise
- Handful of shredded basil leaves or chopped coriander leaves
- For the chicken stock: Put the chicken bones and any pieces of skin, leftover roast onion and garlic in a large pan with an unpeeled onion, cut into wedges, a large carrot and leek tops, chopped, a good sprinkling of salt, about eight peppercorns, a couple of bay leaves, a few thyme sprigs and a handful of parsley. Add enough cold water to cover well.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for a couple of hours, half covered. Strain into a large jug.
- Discard all the bones and veg.
- For the soup: Simmer the stock in a large pan and add in the star anise, ginger, garlic and half of the chilli, for 10 mins, without boiling.
- Meanwhile, trim the ends off the pak choi and separate the leaves. Cut the white part into fine strips and shred the leaves.
- Remove the flavourings from the stock with a slotted spoon and discard them. Add the noodles to the boiling stock, stir them in and simmer for
- 3 mins. Add the spring onion and white parts of the pak choi, bring to the boil, then add the chicken and soy sauce. Sprinkle the pak choi leaves on top and steam them for 1 min.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and scatter with fine slivers of chilli and basil or coriander. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Oriental chicken noodle soup
Make the chicken stock in advance - it can be kept in covered pots in the fridge for a week, or freeze and use within 3 months.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Gordon Ramsay's cream of cauliflower soup
This velvety smooth cauliflower soup is by celeb chef Gordon Ramsay. Read in just 30 minutes...
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Chicken, pea and noodle salad
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken miso soup
A chicken miso soup is a healthy, light soup using Japanese miso that's perfect if you're watching the calories or have a cold coming on
By Jessica Dady • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
What is the Lunar New Year and is it different to Chinese New Year?
As the celebrations begin, we answer the questions what is the Lunar New Year and why is it so special?
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Meghan Markle's favourite high street mascara is SO cheap
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published