This delicious parsnip and tomato gratin is full of flavour. Made with mature cheddar cheese, parsnips and plum tomatoes, it's a lovely autumnal dish.
Either enjoy it as a main or divvy into smaller portions to make a tasty alternative side to a Sunday lunch.
- 600g (1¼lb) parsnips, peeled and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can whole plum tomatoes
- 100-125g (3½ -4oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp coarse breadcrumbs
- A little paprika
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200ºC. Add the sliced parsnips to a pan of boiling, salted water, bring back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Spoon half the parsnips into a buttered, deep ovenproof dish. Season well, then spoon the tomatoes and their juice over. Layer the rest of the parsnips on top. Season, then sprinkle with the cheese, breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Put the dish on a baking sheet and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until browning on top, and the parsnip slices are tender.
Top Tip for making Parsnip and tomato gratin
If you have any leftovers, they will reheat well in the microwave.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Ginger carrots and parsnips
Ginger carrots and parsnips are a perfect spiced-up version of traditional glazed carrots. The syrup adds a bright, fiery flavour
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slimming World's pasta with prawns, chilli and tomatoes
Slimming World's pasta with prawns, chilli and tomatoes is an easy and speedy suppertime treat than will leave you feeling full and happy.
By Slimming World Last updated
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published