This dish takes the pumpkin out of its usual Halloween setting and uses it to add flavour to a delicious pasta bake.
- 400g (14oz) of your favourite pasta shapes
- 1 500g jar of ready-made tomato pasta sauce with onions and garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2dsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500g (18oz) pumpkin, peeled and diced into 2cm chunks
- 1/2 sliced red pepper
- 1/2 sliced green pepper
- 150g cannellini beans, cooked or use a 400g can, drained
- 1 small handful of fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 150g chopped low fat buffalo mozzarella
- 80g parmesan cheese, grated
- 3tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
- Freshly ground black pepper
Set oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
Cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Cool under cold running water
drain and toss in a little olive oil to prevent it sticking together.
Fry onion in the oil until translucent, then add pumpkin and continue to cook
for 10 mins
Stir in the peppers and continue to cook for 5 mins
Add the beans, sauce, chopped sage leaves, lemon zest and juice. Season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
Stir in the cooked pasta, check seasoning and spoon into an ovenproof dish. Top with cheeses and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 mins until golden