Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Pecan pie is a classic American pastry tart filled with a buttery syrup and packed with pecan nuts, which is traditionally served for Thanksgiving. We think our pecan pie recipe is delicious served with vanilla ice cream or clotted cream for an extra special dessert once the nights start getting cooler and autumn draws in.
You could also make individual pecan tarts if liked, just cook them a little less and use minature pie tins. If you want a more earthy flavour you could use half maple syrup and half golden syrup, this will make your pie deliciously dark and rich.
Baking an American classic? Our cups to grams converter can help!
For the pastry case
- 150g plain flour
- 75g butter
- 1tbsp caster sugar
For the filling
- 150ml golden syrup
- 50g butter
- 175g light soft brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 250g pecans
- 3 eggs
- Make the pastry: place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and 50ml ice cold water. Bring the dough together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20 cm fluted, loose bottom flan tin. Trim the edges with a knife.
- Line the pastry case with a circle of baking parchment and fill with baking beans then bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and parchment and return the tart case to the oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden and dry to the touch.
- To make the filling: heat the syrup, butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute, stir in 200g of the pecans and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix the cooled syrup with the eggs. Pour into the pastry case. Finely chop the remaining nuts and sprinkle on top.
- Place the pie in the centre of the oven. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the filling is just set in the middle. Leave to cool before serving.
Top Tip for making Pecan pie
This is a great dessert to make in advance; it will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge or can even be frozen for up to 1 month.
Thanksgiving turkey and gravy is a delicious twist on this festive roast. The turkey is basted with butter for an indulgent finish and the gravy adds a kick
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
By Victoria Threader • Published
Coconut milk panna cotta
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts
Make perfect doughnuts at home with Gordon Ramsay's chocolate doughnuts recipe, made with malt powder and filled with a sweet chocolate cream.
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Pilchard fishcakes are a flavour-packed lunch or party food that makes the most of a British ingredient. Pilchards are cheap to buy and full of healthy fats.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Puff pastry minced beef pie
This delicious puff pastry minced beef pie is pleasingly easy to whip up but is always a hit with the whole family. The crisp, flaky golden pastry is a winner.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Ben & Jerry's is launching a line of doggie dessert treats
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Aldi is selling a sausage roll maker for under £15 and it's the ULTIMATE stocking filler for pastry lovers
By Naomi Jamieson • Published