Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Phil Vickery’s special-fried rice recipe is a healthy take on a classic oriental egg-fried rice dish. As part of the ITV show Save Money Good Diet, Phil aims to create healthy versions of the nation's favourite dishes while on a budget.
This special fried rice is packed full of vegetables, ham, chicken, and prawns. Using cauliflower rice is a healthier alternative to rice and it's lower in calories if you're watching your waistline. Phil says: "Instead of using all rice, in this recipe cauliflower is ground up to resemble grains. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how this dish turned out: I was quite skeptical about removing pretty much half of the main component of the dish."
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced on a diagonal
- 200g cauliflower (1small whole), finely processed in a food-processor to ‘cauliflower rice’ consistency
- 200g cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 200g mixed frozen vegetables, defrosted
- 70g cooked cold-water prawns
- 30g wafer-thin ham
- 50g leftover or cooked chicken
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the egg yolks and white together with 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce and a dash of pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, then add the eggs and spread out evenly. Gently draw the edges of the cooked egg from the sides of the pan so you end up with a nice, flat omelette. Once fully cooked (about 3-4 minutes), pop the omelette onto a plate.
- In a large non-stick wok, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over a high heat. Fry the garlic. Chilli and spring onions for 1-2 minutes, then add the cauliflower rice and stir well. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring well to release some of its moisture.
- Add the brown rice, Chinese 5 spice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce. Add the defrosted vegetables to the wok and stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the prawns, ham and chicken and cook for 34 minutes to warm through, ensuring they are properly reheated.
- Finally, slice the omelette and mix into the pan. Serve.
Top Tip for making Phil Vickery’s special-fried rice
Cauliflower is a high-fibre, low-carb alternative to rice, which drastically cuts the calories of this favourite dish. If you don't have a food-processor, you can chop or shave finely with a sharp knife instead.