This rhubarb pie is the ultimate comfort food to end a meal – serve with cream, custard or tangy creme fraiche. Top with a crispy lattice-style pastry topping for extra bite
- 375g packet dessert pastry
- Beaten egg, for glaze
- 1-2 tbsp granulated sugar
For the filling
- 500g rhubarb, sliced about 4cm (1½in) long
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Zested rind of 1 orange
- Knob of butter
- 24cm round enamel pie plate
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Line base of pie plate with half the pastry. Prick with a fork.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl and stir in the sugar, flour and orange rind. Spoon the mixture into the pastry case and put the knob of butter on the top.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cut into strips about 2-3cm (¾-1¼in) wide. Brush water around the edge of the pastry lining the pie plate. Weave the strips over the top of the pie. Press the ends of the strips down well where they join the pastry base and carefully cut off any excess.
- Brush egg glaze over the top of the pastry and sprinkle over the granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on the baking sheet. Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-55 mins, or until the pastry is golden and the rhubarb feels tender when prodded with a skewer or knife.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve warm
Top Tip for making Rhubarb lattice pie
Look out for rhubarb when it's in season (January -May) as it will be cheaper and much tastier
Sue McMahon is a former Food and Recipes Writer at GoodTo and Cooking Editor at Woman's Weekly. Her primary passion is cakes and Sue regularly travels the world teaching cake decorating. Her biggest achievement to date was winning the Prix d’honneur at La Salon Culinaire International de Londres beating over 1,200 other entries.
Easy cottage pie
Packed with tender minced beef, rich tomatoes, and an indulgent creamy mash, this classic cottage pie recipe is a family favourite...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie
The Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie recipe is an absolute classic. Learn how to make a rich meaty pie filling and soft buttery pastry...
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Chicken and mushroom pie
This chicken and mushroom pie recipe is the ultimate comfort food. It's made with double cream, and white wine, and is infused with thyme...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Mexican bean sausage soup
Mexican bean and sausage soup is a warm and filling dinner or lunch recipe that you'll want to make time and time again with spicy chorizo and more
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Beans and sausage bake
This beans and sausage bake is packed with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, tomato sauce. A perfect sausage supper.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Spicy chicken wings
Sticky, spicy chicken wings that will go down an absolute treat at barbecues and summer parties. Just be sure to have lots of napkins on hand.
By Tana Ramsay • Published
Winter Love Island has been confirmed for 2023
Winter Love Island is back for another year
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Dog owners warned over poisonous danger on walks this spring
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Cyber Monday travel deals: Save on trips at British Airways, easyJet and Virgin Atlantic with these late Black Friday discounts
By Grace Walsh • Published