Sunday roast with a difference! This easy dish mixes the flavour of wild duck with savoury bacon and sweet orange - delicious!
- 1 onion, unpeeled, and cut into 6 wedges
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 6 streaky bacon rashers, stretched and halved
- 3 mallard (wild duck)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 300ml (½ pint) game or chicken stock
- 5tbsp port
- 4tbsp orange marmalade
- A little tomato ketchup
- 2tsp cornflour, optional
- Roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and Savoy cabbage, to serve
- Set the oven to gas mark 7/220°C. Put the onion wedges in a roasting tin and sprinkle them with the oil. Arrange the bacon rashers over the mallard to cover the breasts, then place on top of the onion wedges and roast for 20 minutes.
- Take the bacon off and put it in the roasting tin alongside the duck (or with the roasting vegetables). Sprinkle the ducks with salt and pepper and put back in the oven for 15 mins to brown.
- Take the birds out of the oven and transfer them to a warm baking tray, tipping the juices from inside the birds into the tray. Leave them, along with the bacon and onion wedges, to rest for 10 mins in a warm place.
- Scrape the roasting tin juices into a frying pan and add the orange juice, stock, port, marmalade and a good squeeze of ketchup, and boil to reduce until fairly thick. Add the cornflour, mixed with a little water, to thicken the sauce, if you prefer.
- Carve the birds and serve with the sauce, as it is or sieved, if you like it smooth, along with roast potatoes, carrots, parsnips and shredded, boiled cabbage.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Honey-roasted summer veg
Try honey-roasted summer veg from Woman's Weekly with your roast chicken, beef, lamb or pork. See our roast dinner recipes too.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
iCandy Orange vs Peach: which iCandy pram is the best?
We break down the difference between the iconic prams to help you choose the best one for your baby
By Heidi Scrimgeour • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Prince Harry has ‘changed so much’ from the ‘free, easy going boy’ he once was, says Princess Diana’s former butler
“He needs to take accountability for the part he has played and the stress he has caused his family”
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published