Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Pancake batter is so versatile - use it as a base for these easy, more-ish, crispy sausage and bacon popovers.
- 6 sausages
- 3 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 150ml (¼ pint) milk
- Six-hole non-stick muffin tray
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 or 220°C.
- Cut each sausage into 3 and put 3 pieces in each hole in the muffin tray. Snip the bacon into pieces and place on top of the sausages. Place the tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 10-15 mins, or until the sausages start to turn a golden-brown colour.
- Meanwhile, to make the batter, tip the flour into a bowl and stir in the salt. Whisk together the egg, milk and 150ml (¼ pint) water. Then whisk this into the flour to give a smooth batter.
- When the sausages are brown, working quickly, pour some batter into each hole, only having the oven door open for a very short time, so that the oven doesn't drop too much in temperature. Bake the popovers for about 20-30 mins, or until they have risen and the batter is crisp. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. (Not suitable for freezing.)
Top Tip for making Sausage popovers
Woman's Weekly's Sue McMahon says these popovers also work well in silicon muffin trays, which don't need greasing before use. You'll find the popovers will lift out of them very easily, without sticking.