Schnitzcake is a delicious spin on a German classic, Schnitzel. This recipe cooks tender pork escallops in a buttery pancake mixture. Served with fresh watercress, chopped gherkins and banana shallots, these pancake hybrids would make the perfect dinner one Pancake Day.
- 1x batch
- 6 pork escallops
- 65g plain flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- tbsp olive oil
- 15g unsalted butter
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 1 gherkin, finely chopped or 2tbsp capers
- small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Make up your pancake batter up to step 1 of the recipe. Beat each escallope between sheets of clingfilm using a rolling pin until it’s flattened by a third. Cover in flour then dust off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. In batches, dip the escallops in the batter, set in the frying pan and pour over a little extra batter. Cook for 5-6 mins on each side or until browned and cooked through.
- In a separate pan, melt the butter with the oil, add the lemon juice, bubble for 30 seconds then add the shallot and gherkin pieces and the parsley. Heat for another 20 secounds, season well and pour over the escallops. Serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Schnitzcake
You could try this recipe using flattened chicken breast or lamb instead
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
An easy, delicious pancake recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make - the perfect weekend treat or Pancake Day go-to...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Make like the Bake Off contestants and make these fabulous lace pancakes for dessert tonight - everyone will be impressed at their intricacy
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
These delicious lemon meringue pancakes combine crunchy meringues mixed in with tangy lemon, sweet cream and tasty pancakes for an indulgent breakfast or delicious dessert idea.
By Charlotte Gunn • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Mrs Hinch leaves the internet in shock with very bizarre dinner recipe
By Hayley Minn • Published