Slow cooker Asian chicken thighs are so easy to make as there's no need to marinate them before slow cooking. Each chicken thigh is infused with the delicious Asian flavours of garlic, ginger, chilli and sesame and this dish tastes great served with sticky rice and a sprinkling of spring onions.
Read our tried and tested reviews of the best slow cookers.
- 1kg chicken thighs, bone in, skinless
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp ketjap manis
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 green chillies, sliced
- thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- large handful coriander
- 3 spring onions, shredded
- Put the chicken, soy and fish sauces, vinegar, ketjap manis, agave, chillies, ginger and garlic into a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hrs.
- Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a casserole with a scrunched up piece of wet greaseproof paper inside the lid and cook in the oven on its lowest setting for 3 hrs.
- Just before serving, remove the chicken from the bones and loosely pull apart.
- Garnish the chicken and gravy with sesame seeds, coriander and spring onion, and serve with sticky rice.
Top Tip for making Slow cooker Asian chicken thighs
For the ketjap manis we'd recommend visiting Marks and Spencers
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica is a freelance food writer, stylist and recipe tester. She previously worked as Senior Food Writer at Future. While at Future Jessica wrote food and drink-related news stories and features, curated product pages, reviewed equipment, and developed recipes that she then styled on food shoots. She is an enthusiastic, self-taught cook who adores eating out and sharing great food and drink with friends and family. She has completed the Level 1 Associate course at the Academy of Cheese and is continually building on her knowledge of beers, wines, and spirits.
Slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry
This fragrant slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry can be prepped in the morning and will be ready and waiting after a long day.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slow-cooked sausage casserole
Give your sausage casserole deeper flavour by cooking it in your slow cooker. With just 3 easy steps this tasty recipe takes very little effort.
By Jessica Dady Published
A great British favourite, this Indian tandoori chicken is very tasty and spicy and easy to cook. Serve it up with a yogurt dip and your favourite kind of naan bread.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published