This delicious, mouth-watering slow-cooked pulled beef ragu is the perfect alternative to your Sunday roast. It's really easy to make, all you have to do is pop all of the ingredients into a slow-cooker or in a casserole pot on the hob and cook for about 6hrs. The meat will be fall off the bone tender and bursting with flavour thanks to the red wine and fresh bay leaf.
Read our tried and tested reviews of the best slow cookers.
- 800g beef shin or brisket
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, bashed
- 250ml red wine
- 1 beef stock pot, we used Knorr
- 4tbsp tomato purée
- cooked pasta and fresh basil, to serve
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- Put the beef, vegetables, bay, garlic, wine, stock pot, 200ml water and the tomato purée into a slow cooker and season. Cook on low for 6 hrs.
- Alternatively, put the ingredients into a casserole with a scrunched up piece of wet greaseproof paper inside the lid and cook on the hob or in the oven on its lowest setting for 4-6 hrs.
- Remove the meat to a board and pull the strands apart. Meanwhile, put the pot on the hob and reduce the sauce until thickened to your liking.
- Check the seasoning, then put the meat back in the pot and mix together with the sauce. Serve with pasta, a sprinkling of Parmesan and basil.
Top Tip for making Slow cooker pulled beef ragu
If you fancy trying something new with this recipe swap the beef for a similar cut of lamb instead
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica is a freelance food writer, stylist and recipe tester. She previously worked as Senior Food Writer at Future. While at Future Jessica wrote food and drink-related news stories and features, curated product pages, reviewed equipment, and developed recipes that she then styled on food shoots. She is an enthusiastic, self-taught cook who adores eating out and sharing great food and drink with friends and family. She has completed the Level 1 Associate course at the Academy of Cheese and is continually building on her knowledge of beers, wines, and spirits.
Slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry
This fragrant slow-cooked pork and pineapple curry can be prepped in the morning and will be ready and waiting after a long day.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slow-cooked sausage casserole
Give your sausage casserole deeper flavour by cooking it in your slow cooker. With just 3 easy steps this tasty recipe takes very little effort.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slow cooker chilli
This classic slow cooker chilli beef recipe is so easy to make and leaves your slow cooker to do all the hard work for you - plus it adds extra flavour
By GoodtoKnow Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos