Watch celebrity chef Sophie Michell's low-calorie chicken tikka masala video recipe. It's cheap, easy and has fewer calories than a takeaway version. This recipe serves four people and takes just 15 minutes to throw together – perfect for a no fuss meal that everyone will love.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 3-4cm pieces
- 2tbsp tikka masala paste (see spice mix below)
- 2tbsp live yogurt
For the sauce
- 1tbsp tikka masala paste (see recipe below or use shop-bought)
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1tsp fresh ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 200ml stock
- 200ml tomato passata
- 3tbsp of 2%-fat Greek yogurt
- Fresh chopped coriander
For the tikka masala spice mix
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp chilli powder (depending on how spicy you like it)
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2tsp garam masala
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp water
- To make this chicken curry, (opens in new tab) firstly, mix all the chicken pieces, yogurt and spices together and marinate for 1 hr.
- Peel and cut the onion in half, slice and add to the fryer. Finely chop the garlic and ginger and also add to the fryer along with the spice mix, cardomom pods and oil. Set the timer for 30 mins.
- Cook for 5 mins, stir well with a spatula and then add the chicken pieces, stock, passata and seasoning. Stir again to evenly distribute and continue cooking.
- When the time is up, add the chopped coriander and the Greek yogurt, stir well, check seasoning and serve. Don't add the Greek yogurt earlier, as it's low-fat and will split if left on the heat too long. Serve with pilau rice and chutney.
Top Tip for making Sophie Michell's chicken tikka masala
A quick tip for the rice is to cook it with a cinnamon stick and bay leaf, then add a pinch of saffron towards the end, then stir well.
And if you're short on time, buy ready-made tikka spice mix and skip the marinading time.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Video recipe! Smoked trout pate
goodtoknow has lots of easy Christmas recipes like Smoked Trout Mousse. Check out our easy step-by-step guide to making these Christmas starters with our new baking video below.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Video recipe: Phil Vickery's ginger biscuits
These ginger biscuits look lovely and festive hanging from the tree at Christmas and they taste great too! Follow along in our easy step-by-step video recipe visit goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes
By Phil Vickery • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published