Spaghetti vongole is the traditional Italian name for spaghetti with clams. This classic seafood pasta dish is simple to make but so flavourful. Spaghetti vongole has a garlic and white wine sauce, with bursts of fresh cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley. Clams are the star ingredient of a spaghetti vongole, and you can find them in some supermarkets, but the best way to buy them is by going to a specialist fishmonger. Spaghetti vongole is an elegant pasta dish that is so impressive. Serve with a simple green salad and fresh bread for a sophisticated supper without the fuss. Linguine also works well with this dish, and you can try using fresh pasta instead of dried to make it even more special. Whether it’s for a summer dinner party, an al fresco lunch, or a Friday night in, spaghetti vongole is guaranteed to please.
- 600g spaghetti or linguine
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 1kg clams
- 500ml white wine
- 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- Cook the spaghetti or linguine according to the packet instructions, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the garlic and chilli in the olive oil on a medium heat, (in a pan large enough to toss the spaghetti in later), until the garlic is just golden. Add the clams to the pan, then pour in the white wine and cover with a lid. Steam until the clams just open, this will take about 4 minutes, discarding any that are still closed.
- Remove the pan from the heat, toss the cooked spaghetti, tomatoes and parsley through the clams to allow the sauce to coat the pasta. Season to taste and serve.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jules is a creative and talented Food Editor with over 12 years' experience in the food industry across brands and magazine titles. Jules' experience is cast and varied, from food Editor to food writing. She is also passionate about food sustainability and has an amazing talent for food Styling.
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady Published
This delicious lower-fat healthy carbonara recipe is ideal if you're trying to be good or looking for a diet-friendly recipe. Packed with all the flavours
By Jessica Dady Published
Crab, lemon and chilli linguine
This crab, lemon and chilli linguine uses tinned crab meat to make a simple meal that feels like a special occasion. Perfect for summer weekends.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published