Give your Christmas spread a real American feel by making this traditional pound cake. Cinnamon, nutmeg and eggnog give this bake from the States the perfect festive flavour. You always want to make sure you're using top quality ingredients, why not follow our recipe for the perfect eggnog to add to your pound cake!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted self-raising flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog (available from larger supermarkets
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Icing sugar to dust
For the glaze
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp whipping cream
- Generously grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan and set aside.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with 1 cup eggnog, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla and, if desired, brandy.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Stir cinnamon and next 3 ingredients into remaining batter. Spoon spice batter over plain batter. Swirl batters together, using a knife.
- Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 50 to 55 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
- Place cake on a cake plate and dust with icing sugar.
- Combine 1 cup icing sugar and whipping cream, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake.
Top Tip for making Spiced eggnog pound cake
To convert these US measurements into UK ones check out this handy guide
You might also like...
Lemon pound cake
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.