Whether you’re a fan of apple tart or not, this version of the delicious by Tana Ramsay will change your mind forever.
You will need a little less than two hours to make this apple tart recipe, which includes 30mins of preparation time and another 30mins of refrigerating time for the pastry.
For the thin apple tart we recommend you use Granny Smith apples, but opt for Bramley apples for the pureé. Although you can make your own pastry, we’ve used ready-rolled puff pastry that you can buy from the shop, which makes the process much speedier and leaves you more time to enjoy the apple tart later when it’s done.
The trick for this simple recipe to be a smashing success is to slice the apples really thin, which can be tricky and laborious but very worth it for this delicious tart. Just like with any other version of the classic, you can serve this apple tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and let it melt into the apple. If you’re trying to be good, opt for low-fat custard or just have it on its own.
thin apple tart:
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 375g (13oz) sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Plain flour, for dusting
- Double cream, to serve
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (13/4oz) caster sugar, plus 4tbsp for sprinkling
- 1tbsp orange juice
You'll also need:
- 1 x baking sheet
- 1 x 28cm (11cm) large plate
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- Lay the puff pastry sheet out on a lightly-floured surface and use a large plate as a guide to cut out a 28cm (11in) round. Transfer the pastry round to the lined baking sheet, cover loosely with clingfilm and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, for the pureé: put the Bramley apple slices, butter, 50g (13/4oz) sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and cook over a gentle heat for 10 mins, or until the apple has softened to a purée. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/200˚F/Gas Mark 6.
- For the thin apple tart: spread the cooked apple pureé over the chilled pastry, leaving a 1.5cm (5/8 in) border of pastry clear around the edge, and arrange the Granny Smith apple slices on top. Brush with half the melted butter and sprinkle over 1tbsp of the remaining caster sugar.
- Bake the tart in the oven for 25 mins. Remove from the oven, brush over the remaining melted butter and sprinkle over the last 3tbsp caster sugar. Return to the oven for a further 10 mins.
- Remove the tart from the oven and leave to cool. Serve in slices with dollops of double cream.