Tom Kerridge's North African soup is the perfect meal if you fancy something healthy but also warming and filling. If a salad isn't really cutting it for dinner, we highly recommend giving this Tom Kerridge recipe a go, especially when it's chilling outside and you need a steaming dinner to warm you up. This delicious soup is packed with flavour and you won't believe it's only 235 calories per serving. Tom Kerridge's North African soup will take you about 15 mins to prep, and another 30 mins to cook, which means you'll have a homemade soup ready to be served in less than an hour. Tom Kerridge's soup super easy to whip up too, in just four easy steps. This dish is also completely vegetarian, which is great if you've cut out meat from your diet - and works out cheaper too! Tom says: 'Think of this soup like a minestrone but with lots of big, bold North African flavours. Rose harissa is a fantastic ingredient to keep in your fridge – the smallest amount brings so many extra layers of taste. Chickpeas and aubergine add body, replacing the need for pasta or meat to make this a satisfying one-bowl meal.'
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 tsp rose harissa paste
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1.2 litres fresh vegetable stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 450g aubergines, diced
- 300g courgettes, diced
- 400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained (240g drained weight)
- 150g frozen broad beans
- 2 handfuls of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a high heat. When hot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, adding a splash of water if they start to stick. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lower the heat a little and stir through the cumin and ground coriander. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute and then add the rose harissa and tomato purée and stir over the heat for another minute.
- Add the veg stock, tinned tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 20–30 minutes.
- Add the broad beans, chopped coriander and lemon zest. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed large bowls to serve.
Top Tip for making Tom Kerridge's North African soup
Like frozen peas, frozen broad beans taste fresh all year round as they are frozen quickly after picking. Keep a bag in your freezer to add extra texture and taste to stews, soups and casseroles.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Tom Kerridge is a celebrated English Michelin-starred chef who has been dazzling the professional cooking scene since 1991. His French, British, and fusion style cooking has created delicious, much-loved recipes over the years that have earned his pub multiple Michelin stars. In 2005, he and his wife Beth Cullen-Kerridge opened their pub The Hand & Flowers, which gained its first Michelin star in its opening year. By 2012, it received its second Michelin star and Tom has since opened a restaurant in London at the Corinthia Hotel London in 2018, as well as The Butchers Tap, butchers, and pub all under one roof. His work within television has continued also to grow over the years featuring in our favourite cooking shows such as Saturday Kitchen, Great British Menu, Top of the Shop, How To Lose Weight For Good, and BBC2's Food and Drink. His meals are ultimate comfort delicious food and we have some of his best recipes for you.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer Published
Creamy carrot and parsnip soup
This delicious creamy carrot and parsnip soup recipe is easy to make, simple and healthy too - a delicious winter warmer!
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published