Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Pack this mouthwatering vegan chilli with heaps of veg; onion, celery, carrot, pepper, and sweet potato.
Infused with coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper, this hearty vegan chilli is full of warming flavour. This recipe uses a variety of mixed beans to ensure there is plenty of protein in the dish. It also uses vegan-friendly dark chocolate, which adds richness to the tomato sauce.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 80g sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 400g tin black beans
- 400g tin mixed beans
- 2x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- 50g dark chocolate
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- Juice of one lime
- Fresh coriander, to garnish
- Long grain rice and toasted tortillas, to serve
- In a large casserole pot, heat the oil and cook the celery, onion and carrot for 5 mins until softened, add the sweet potato, garlic, spices and tomato puree and cook out for a further 2 mins.
- Add in the sun-dried tomatoes, peppers, beans, tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer. Add in the chocolate, stir to melt and then allow to a simmer for 30 mins, until the sweet potato is tender.
- Stir in the lime juice, add a generous splash of vegan crème fraîche and garnish with fresh coriander and sliced red chilli. Serve with rice and toasted corn tortillas.
Top tips for making vegan chilli
Swap the tin of mixed beans for Quorn mince instead for a different texture and finish.
You might also like…
More delicious vegan recipes (opens in new tab)
Foods for vegans (opens in new tab): Shop-bought foods that are actually vegan
Vegan diet (opens in new tab): How to go vegan