Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Phil Vickery's berry, apple and caramel squares make tasty flapjack-style treats that are great for picnics, lunchboxes and afternoon nibbles.
Using porridge oats, cinnamon, condensed caramel and lashings of fruit, they are deliciously flavourful, moist, dense and satisfyingly filling.
This is a guilt-free treat too as it's packed full of ingredients that are wholesome and good for you.
Follow along in our easy step-by-step recipe video to see how it is done.
Love Phil's recipes? We've got loads more delicious treats from Phil Vickery right here.
- 300g(10oz) eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 397g can of condensed caramel
- 200g (7oz) porridge oats
- 2tsp cinnamon (optional)
For the crumbly topping
- 55g (2oz) porridge oats
- 15g (½oz) butter, finely cubed
- 55g (2oz) toasted flaked almonds
- 300g (11oz) fresh or frozen forest fruits
- An18 x 28cm (8 x 11") baking tin, lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Tip the apple into a saucepan with 6tbsp of water, cover with a lid and cook until soft (about 5-6 mins). Drain the excess water and puree in a blender or mash with a potato masher.
- Tip 200g (7oz) of the oats and the cinnamon into a large bowl and add the cooked apple and two-thirds of the caramel. Mix well.
- For the base: spread two-thirds of the oat mixture onto the base of the tin and push into the corners with the back of a spoon for a completely smooth layer.
- Tumble the berries on top of the base. Beat the caramel in the can then drizzle over the berries.
- Make a crumbly topping: add 55g (2oz) oats to the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix well. Using your fingers, rub in the butter (it gets a little messy!) then add the almonds and stir together.
- Dot the final oat mixture over the berries and press down slightly to stick all the layers together. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy with a blob of Greek yogurt or clotted cream.
Top Tip for making Phil Vickery's berry, apple and caramel squares
Oats contain the B vitamins thiamin, riboflavin and B6 and the minerals, calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc.