Fancy a fry up? This Weight Watchers vegan fry-up is delicious! Don't miss out on a tasty breakfast treat and opt instead for this vegan version - it's a classic favourite the whole family will enjoy. And, it even includes crisp, delicious carrot ‘bacon’.
You can't go wrong waking up to Weight Watchers vegan fry-up at the weekend. Thanks to this recipe, even if you're following a vegan diet (opens in new tab), you don't have to miss out. This breakfast feast, created by WW – the new Weight Watchers (opens in new tab) - puts a spin on a traditional meaty brunch. With mushrooms, beans, tomatoes and carrot 'bacon' this breakfast (opens in new tab) makes a delicious and guilt-free start to the day. This tasty recipe will serve four, so get the whole family involved in the preparation and you'll have a brunch bursting with favour on the table in no time. If you're following Weight Watchers SmartPoints, this vegan fry-up has a SmartPoint value of 4.
And why not give our classic bubble and squeak recipe a go for the perfect, filling, nutritious side dish - Just don't forget to substitute the eggs and butter for a vegan alternative!
- Calorie controlled cooking spray
- 400g button mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 large tomatoes, halved
- 4 slices WW Thick Wholemeal Bread, toasted, to serve
For the 'bacon'
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 4 carrots, peeled into thin strips using a vegetable peeler
For the beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas mark 1 and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Toss all of the ‘bacon’ ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then arrange the carrot strips in a single layer on the prepared baking trays, reserving the marinade. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, basting with the reserved marinade halfway through, until the carrots are crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the beans. Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and set over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute, then stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Mist a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray and fry the mushrooms over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir through the parsley, then push the mushrooms to one side of the pan. Add the fresh tomatoes, cut side-down, and cook for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook for another minute.
- Top the toast with the beans and serve with the mushrooms, tomatoes and ‘bacon’.
Top Tip for making Weight Watchers vegan fry-up
Add 1 frozen Quorn Cumberland vegan sausage, cooked to pack instructions for 3 extra SmartPoints per serving.