Aldi is selling the cheapest Christmas turkey for 2022 - and it's selling fast as it feeds a family of six for less than £1.40 each.
When it comes to choosing the perfect meat for Christmas dinner it can be overwhelming but Aldi is appealing to families looking to save money amid the cost of living (opens in new tab) crisis and it is selling the cheapest Christmas turkey.
Whether it's frozen, fresh, luxury Christmas turkey's or a turkey crown, Aldi has it covered with its bargain bird.
Christmas just wouldn’t be the same without the highly-anticipated Christmas dinner (opens in new tab). And if there’s one centrepiece on the big day it’s of course the Christmas turkey. As soon as the countdown to Christmas starts, many people will begin searching for the best turkey (opens in new tab). Sadly, because of the increased demand during the festive period, turkeys can also be extremely expensive. But that doesn’t mean that you and your loved ones can’t enjoy a delicious and affordable turkey this year.
And you can prepare it like this Gordon Ramsay roast turkey (opens in new tab) or if it's your first time hosting Christmas, you can't go wrong with this how to cook a turkey (opens in new tab) guide.
We've discovered where to buy the cheapest supermarket Christmas turkeys for Christmas 2022 to make your shopping experience that bit more stress-free.
Aldi has the cheapest Christmas turkey 2022
Every year, there seems to be a degree of healthy competition between the major supermarkets over which is offering the cheapest turkey ready for the big day. But whether you’re looking for a fresh bird to cook with a fabulous fruity stuffing recipe (opens in new tab), or a frozen turkey or turkey crown to help you keep more fridge space free for the best Christmas food (opens in new tab), things can often get a little pricey.
Now we might just have solved the matter of the cheapest turkey in 2022! According to the low-cost supermarket itself, Aldi is reportedly selling the UK’s cheapest fresh British whole turkey this Christmas for as little as £8.38 (£4.19 per kg).
The supermarket’s golden whole turkeys are Red Tractor certified and promise to be "packed full of flavour", making them the perfect Christmas dinner centrepiece.
Aldi's Ashfield Farm whole British Turkeys (£4.19 per kg) with Giblets, landing in stores from 19th December, is available in three size options to help make sure there’s plenty to go around when celebrating with friends and family this Christmas. There's their Small bird (2kg – 4.49kg, serves 6-11), Medium (4.5kg – 5.99kg, serves 11-14), and Large (6kg – 8kg, serves 15-18).
Meanwhile, the UK’s cheapest frozen whole turkeys can also be found at Aldi from just £2.78 per kg, with the Oakhurst British Basted Whole Turkey available in three sizes: Small (2.8kg – 4kg, serves 6-11), Medium (4kg – 5.4kg, serves 11-14), and Large (5.4kg – 7.2kg, serves 15-18). On sale now, the plump bird promises to "cooks to a golden brown with crisp skin and rich, melt in the mouth texture".
These Aldi Ashfield turkeys are also accompanied by giblets which can be put to majestic use in a turkey gravy to give added flavour. And that’s not all, as Aldi has also been named the best place to buy your frozen turkey this Christmas by Which?
Not only do they look truly delicious, but they’re very affordable too.
Aldi’s Frozen Turkeys are available in store and online now. Aldi’s Fresh Turkeys will be on sale in store and online from 19th December.
But these aren’t the only cheap turkeys out there to choose from. To help you find a great value turkey, we're revealing the cheapest frozen, fresh, luxury whole turkeys and turkey crowns from all the major supermarkets, from cheapest to most expensive. Where there was a price or weight range, we've worked out the price per kilo based on the minimum weight.
Cheapest Christmas turkeys: Frozen turkeys
The cheapest Christmas turkeys: frozen entries for 2022
- Cheapest: Oakhurst British Basted Whole Turkey, with the available in three sizes: Small (2.8kg – 4kg, serves 6-11), Medium (4kg – 5.4kg, serves 11-14), and Large (5.4kg – 7.2kg, serves 15-18). just £2.78 per kg.
- Braemoor Small British Self-Basting Turkey with Giblets (opens in new tab) 2.8-4kg, £13.49, Lidl, £3.37 per kg.
- Bootiful! by Bernard Matthews Golden Norfolk Whole Turkey with Giblets Small (opens in new tab), (serves 4-5) £13.50 Iceland - £4.82 per kg.
- Morrisons Frozen Small Whole Basted Turkey With Giblets Serves 4-8 (opens in new tab) , 2.6-3.8kg, £16.99, Morrisons.
- ASDA Basted Medium British Turkey (opens in new tab) - 3.9kg, serves 8-10, £17.50, ASDA, £4.49 per kg. Available from 19th December.
- Tesco British Frozen Small Basted Whole Turkey Bird 2.6Kg - 3.8KG (opens in new tab) - serves 4-7, £14, Tesco, £5.39 per kg, available until 17th December for delivery or collection.
- Sainsbury's Standard Turkey 2-3.99kg, Small, serves 6, £4.25/kg, (England, Wales, Scotland) or Grove Fresh turkey 3-3.9kg £12.75 (NI only)
- Waitrose Frozen Medium Free Range Turkey with Giblets (sold out online) serves 8, £29, Waitrose.
The cheapest Christmas turkeys: frozen entries for 2021 were...
- Cheapest! Oakhurst British Basted Whole Turkey Small (opens in new tab), 4 kg, (serves 3-7), £11.49, Aldi, £2.87 per kg
- Braemoor Large British Self-Basting Turkey with Giblets, 5.5 - 7.2kg, £17.49, Lidl, £3.18 per kg
- Bernard Matthews Golden Norfolk Basted Whole Turkey with Giblets Large (opens in new tab), 5.4kg (serves 8-10), £17, Iceland - £3.25 per kg
- Morrisons Frozen Basted Turkey Extra Large (opens in new tab), 7.8-8.3kg (Serves 16-19), £27, Morrisons, £3.46 per kg
- ASDA Basted Large British Turkey- order by 17th December, 5.3 kg (serves 11-14), £19.50, ASDA, £3.68 per kg
- Tesco British Frozen Small Basted Whole Turkey Bird (opens in new tab) 2.6kg - 3.8kg, (serves 4-7), £12.00, Tesco, £3.75 per kg
- Sainsbury's British Small Basted Whole Turkey (opens in new tab), 2.6kg-3.8kg (Serves 5-8), £12, Sainsbury’s, £3.75 per kg
- Braemoor Small British Self-Basting Turkey with Giblets, 2.8 - 4.0kg (serves 3-7), £11.49, Lidl, £4.10 per kg
- Waitrose Essential Large Frozen Turkey With Giblets (opens in new tab), 5.5 - 6.99kg (Serves 11 minimum), £29, Waitrose, £5.28 per kg
Cheapest Christmas turkeys: fresh turkeys
The cheapest Christmas turkeys: fresh entries for 2022
- Cheapest: Aldi's Ashfield Farm whole British Turkey, £4.19 per kg, Aldi, Small bird (2kg – 4.49kg, serves 6-11), Medium (4.5kg – 5.99kg, serves 11-14), and Large (6kg – 8kg, serves 15-18)
- Morrisons Whole Turkey Small 2-3.99Kg Typically: 3kg (opens in new tab), £14.97, Morrisons, (serves 4-7), £4.99 per kg. Available for delivery from 20th December.
- ASDA Small British Turkey (Typically 3.25kg) (opens in new tab), £16.25, ASDA food to order, serves 4-7, £5 per kg - book for 20-23rd December delivery.
- Tesco Whole Turkey Medium 4.5kg - 5.99kg Serves 11-14 (opens in new tab) £29.95, Tesco, £5 per kg - Part of the Festive Food to Order Range. Available for collection or delivery between 20/12 and 23/12. Checkout your order by 14 Dec 23:45.
- Essential Medium Whole Turkey with Giblets(4kg-6kg) (opens in new tab), £26-£39, Waitrose, serves 8 £6.50 per kg - available 20th-24th December.
The cheapest Christmas turkeys: fresh entries for 2021 were...
- Cheapest! Ashfield Farm British Fresh Whole Turkey with Giblets (opens in new tab) - available for slots December 19-23, typically 5.25kg, £18.11, Aldi - £3.45 per kg.
- Morrisons British Medium Whole Turkey (opens in new tab), 4-5.49 kg, (Serves 8-19), £16.56, Morrisons, £3.49 per kg
- ASDA Extra Large Standard Whole Turkey Food to Order, typically 8 kg, (Serves 12-15), £27.92, ASDA, £3.49 per kg
- Tesco Fresh Whole Turkey Medium (opens in new tab) 4.5kg-5.99kg (Serves 11-14), £23.96, Tesco, £4.00 per kg.
- Waitrose Essential Medium Whole Turkey with Giblets (opens in new tab) - available 20th December, 4kg-6kg, (Serves 8) £24-£35, Waitrose, £5.75 per kg
- Aldi Specially Selected British Oat Fed Roly Poly Turkey (opens in new tab) - available for slots 19 and 23rd December, typically 5 kg, £29.45, Aldi, £5.89 per kg
- M&S Select Farms British Oakham Turkey without Giblets Medium (opens in new tab), 4.2-6.6 kg (Serves 6-10), £35.10, Ocado, £6.50 per kg
- British Free Range Bronze Whole Turkey Taste the Difference (opens in new tab), Sainsbury’s Food to Order - collect on 22nd, 23rd, 24th December 4-4.99 kg (Serves 8-10), £32-£39.92, Sainsbury’s, £8.00 per kg
Cheapest Christmas turkeys: turkey crown
Turkey crowns are typically more expensive per kg than a whole turkey. However, they do make a great option for anyone planning a smaller gathering. So this year we have also compared the range of turkey crowns supermarkets have to offer to find the cheapest.
The Cheapest Christmas turkey crown: entries for 2022
- Cheapest: Lidl's Braemoor British Small Turkey Crown, 1.5-1.9kg, £13.99, Lidl, serves 4-6, £7.36 per kg. And also Aldi's Oakhurst Small British Turkey Crown 1.5-1.9kg, £13.99 (opens in new tab), Aldi, £7.36 per kg, serves 4-6.
- Tesco Turkey Crown Medium 2.3kg - 3.19kg Serves 8-11 (opens in new tab), £28.71, Tesco, £9 per kg - Part of the Festive Food to Order Range. Available for collection or delivery between 20/12 and 23/12. Checkout your order by 14 Dec 23:45.
- Sainsbury's Medium British Turkey Crown 2kg-2.3kg (opens in new tab), £19, Sainsbury's, serves 7-8, £8.26 per kg.
- Bootiful! by Bernard Matthews Golden Norfolk Small Turkey Crown (opens in new tab), £16, Iceland, serves 5-6, £10.67 per kg.
- ASDA Slow-Cooked Turkey Crown with Stuffing & Bacon (opens in new tab), £20, ASDA, £8.62 per kg serves 8-10.
- Essential Frozen Butter Basted Turkey Crown Medium, 2-2.49kg £25, Waitrose, sold out online.
The cheapest Christmas turkey crown: entries for 2021 were...
- Cheapest! Tesco British Frozen Medium Turkey Breast Crown (opens in new tab), 2-2.3 kg, (Serves 6-8), £15.00, Tesco, £6.98 per kg
- Sainsbury's British Large Turkey Crown Frozen (opens in new tab), 2.4-2.8kg, (Serves 8-10), £18.50, Sainsbury’s, £7.12 per kg
- Braemoor Basted Small Turkey Crown, 1.5-1.9kg (Serves 4-6), £11.49, Lidl, £7.66 per kg
- Sainsbury's Medium British Turkey Crown (opens in new tab), 2-2.99kg (Serves 7-10), £23.77, Sainsbury’s, £7.95 per kg
- Bernard Matthews Golden Norfolk Basted Turkey Crown Medium (opens in new tab), 2kg, (Serves 6-10), £16.00, Iceland, £8.00 per kg
- ASDA British Turkey Crown, 1.5k, (Serves 3-4), £12.00, ASDA, £8.99 per kg
- Medium Turkey Breast Crown with Prime Wing (opens in new tab), 2-3kg, (Serves 5), £21-£30, Waitrose, £10.00 per kg
- M&S British Oakham Turkey Crown Frozen (opens in new tab), 1.31-1.75 kg, (Serves 4-6), £16.83, Ocado, £11.00 per kg
- Specially Selected British Free Range Oat-fed Roly Poly Turkey Breast Crown (opens in new tab), typically 2.5kg, £29.73, Aldi, £11.89 per kg
- Large Turkey Breast Crown on the Bone (opens in new tab), 3-4 kg, (Serves 9), £36-£48, Waitrose, £12.00 per kg
Should you buy a cheap turkey?
At GoodtoKnow, we're all about finding you best products for the cheapest prices, but nobody wants to pay for low quality produce or products, especially at Christmas. If you're yet to pick up your Christmas turkey this year, avoid meat with added water. This can make your meat dry out more quickly when cooking, leaving you with a dry Christmas dinner.
If you can, it's best to gravitate towards supermarkets that pledge good animal welfare too. Always do your research about the quality of birds on offer and don't be afraid to ask for more information in store.
Whether you're looking for a fresh, frozen or Turkey crown, it's sometimes worth splashing out that little bit more to bag yourself an affordable yet high-quality turkey.
What about the local butcher?
When we asked GoodtoKnowers on Facebook where they buy their own turkey for Christmas, the majority of people said they go to their local butcher to order their festive feast.
You can often get a great bargain on a really good quality bird by having a chat to your butcher - see what they recommend!
We'd love to hear from you about what type of bird you order and how much you pay for it! Head over to our Facebook page to join the conversation.
Selina is a Senior Entertainment Writer with more than 14 years of experience in newspapers and magazines. She currently looks after all things Entertainment for Goodto.com, Woman&Home, and My Imperfect Life. Before joining Future Publishing, Selina graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2006 with a degree in Journalism. She is fully NCTJ and NCE qualified and has 100wpm shorthand. When she's not interviewing celebrities you can find her exploring new countryside walking routes, catching up with friends over good food, or making memories.
- Rose FooksDeputy Food Editor
Prince Louis' £8,000 Disney-themed gift from Prince Harry in honour of Diana
Prince Louis received a thoughtful gift from his uncle in tribute to his late grandmother, Princess Diana
By Robyn Morris • Published
15 best alarm clocks for kids of all ages 2023
Rise and shine! Shop our edit of the best alarm clocks for kids
By Heidi Scrimgeour • Published