25 cake decorators that spectacularly misunderstood their instructions
'Happy birthday, Adam with blue flowers'.
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- (opens in new tab)
- Sign up to our newsletter Newsletter
We get it - decorating a cake (opens in new tab) isn't easy. The crumb coat, the buttercream, the sprinkles, the fondant; there's a whole bunch of stuff for you to consider, and that's before you even THINK about icing the message on the top.
However, even if they look a bit wonky (or taste a bit funky), most of our homemade culinary creations at least get to the point where they're presentable - which is why we couldn't believe our eyes (once we finished crying tears of laughter out of them) when we saw THESE.
These 25 cakes, mostly created by professionals, have suffered from quite a critical case of crossed wires, and the resulting confusion has caused them to be some of the worst (and funniest) birthday, leaving and wedding cakes we've ever come across - and in the face of this lot, even our slightly dodgy Victoria sponge doesn't look half bad!
Let's take a look and see where the struggles started, shall we?
1. When this unicorn cake didn't look exactly like the one you saw online
Image: Reddit (opens in new tab) So close, but yet so wrong
2. When you were 'only joking'
Poor Matt... we wonder if all was forgiven after this hilarious slip up?
3. When technology has more of an influence than you think
Image: emilyseggie_ Twitter (opens in new tab) A mum ordered a birthday cake for her daughter and asked for a blonde girl on top. Auto-correct had other ideas...
4. Sprinkles proved troublesome for lots of the bakers
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) Well, sorry, you don't get any.
5. Particularly when paired with stars
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) Nope, none of them for you either.
6. Writing 'under neat' things came with its challenges too
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) But not enough to buy you a cake that reads correctly.
7. Even when the biggest of questions was being popped...
Image: Pinterest (opens in new tab) We hope she still said yes?
8. Some misinterpreted requests for specific adornments
Image: The Berry (opens in new tab) No sparks for this unlucky purchaser.
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) Well, geography's not our strong point either...
10. In fairness, the Olympics only happens once every four years
Image: Reddit (opens in new tab) It could happen to any of us, right?
11. Thinking too literally caused even more cakey kerfuffles
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) We think someone MIGHT have failed their languages GCSE.
12. You wanted simple?
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) Too bad!
13. 'Just happy birthday', the orderer requested innocently, not knowing the absolute bafflement that lay ahead
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) If you cut off the bottom half, it's technically correct.
14. Colours weren't without their difficulties either
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) The heartwarming sentiment isn't really the same in kind-of-gross blood red.
15. 'I said in PURPLE'
Image: Should Be Viral (opens in new tab) The sprinkles are halfway there, we suppose?
16. But for most, the biggest, most overwhelming hurdle in their decorating careers was spelling
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) Fingers crossed Ashlee's got a sense of humour!
17. Names proved nearly impossible
Image: Daily Writing Tips (opens in new tab) She probably has two eyes, no?
18. But some even got mixed up when spelling the word cake
Image: Should Be Viral (opens in new tab) Reeeeeally starting to hope this is some kind of in-joke.
19. And don't you go thinkin' that numbers are exempt either
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) Yeah, even first birthdays don't get special treatment around here.
20. In light of all of this, it's unsurprising that technology threw a spanner in the works
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) Yes, that IS the URL for the image they wanted on the cake.
21. Um, a really BIG spanner
Image: Imgur (opens in new tab) Happy birthday, beloved USB stick!
22. Animal requests were hit and miss
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) Who knows what would happen if you asked for a hand.
23. Particularly when they didn't ask for an animal in the first place
Image: Reddit (opens in new tab) Graduation CAT. Obviously.
24. Mostly, we can't help but feel sorry for Sasha
Image: The Berry (opens in new tab) They're wishing her luck, honest!
25. Poor, poor Clint
Image: Cake Wrecks (opens in new tab) Erm, we don't imagine this was a very happy birthday after all.
Ever been given (or made) a cake that went hilariously wrong? Show us a picture and we'll add it to our round-up - may the most ridiculous sponges win!
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Future Studios launches edutainment channel ‘Glow Up Your Grades’
Future Studios have unveiled new edutainment channel 'Glow Up Your Grades' - a multi-platform series that breaks down English GCSE revision hosted by teacher and presenter Mehreen Baig.
By Emily Stedman • Published
Why was Willow cancelled? Disney+ has axed the show after just one season
The series debuted on the streaming platform in 2022
By Selina Maycock • Published