Our tasty apple and berry crumble cake recipe is a must-make afternoon treat.
A luxuriously moist and fruity apple crumble (opens in new tab) cake that's delicious served hot or cold. It brings together two of our favourite sweet treats - cake and crumble. Packed with good-for you fruits finished with a buttery crumble crumb. It will take around 1hr and 5 mins to make and bake this mouth-watering cake. Enjoy on its own or serve with a nice dollop of fresh cream.
- 350g (12oz) self-raising flour
- 10ml (2tsp) ground cinnamon
- 175g (6oz) unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 large apples, peeled cored and diced
- 150g (5oz) blueberries
- 150g (5oz) blackberries
- 45ml (3tbsp) demerara sugar
- 75g (3oz) mixed chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Grease a 20cm x 24cm (8in x 91/2in) cake tin and line with baking parchment, allowing the edges of the parchment to hang over the side.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Remove 175g (6oz) of the crumble mixture to another bowl and set aside.
- Stir the caster sugar and beaten eggs into the larger amount of crumble to make a soft and slightly sticky dough. Press evenly into the base of the cake tin using floured hands. Scatter over the diced apple and berries.
- Stir the demerara sugar and chopped nuts into the rest of the crumble mixture and spoon over the fruit, pressing down gently.
- Bake on the hot baking sheet for 35-45 mins (covering loosely with foil after 20 mins) until the cake is golden brown. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 mins, then remove by gently lifting the parchment. Serve warm or cold.
Top tips for making crumble cake:
If the topping is browning too fast in the oven, cover it loosely with aluminum foil.
You might also like...
Crumble topping (opens in new tab)
Rhubarb crumble (opens in new tab)
Peach crumble (opens in new tab)