This banana and chocolate cake is a classic banana loaf recipe that adds dark chocolate chunks to the mix for an even sweeter bake.
This banana and chocolate cake recipe takes 1hr and 15 mins to cook and costs hardly anything at all to make. For the banana flavour, you need four small bananas that are very ripe (brown and soft). These are then peeled and mashed and added to the mix. If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate you could replace the chunks with milk or white chocolate instead for a different spin on the recipe. Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve with cream or warm with custard.
- 175g plain flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- ½ level tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ level tsp salt
- 100g packet dark chocolate chunks
- 150g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small, very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1kg loaf tin, buttered and lined with a strip of baking parchment
- Set the oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together, then add the chocolate chunks and mix to coat the chocolate in the flour.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar to the melted butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the bananas and vanilla extract. Gradually add the flour and chocolate mixture, stirring well.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1-1¼ hours, or until it feels firm to the touch in the centre and a skewer comes out clean and without any raw cake mixture on it (it may have melted chocolate on it).
Top tip for making banana and chocolate cake
To make this recipe even easier, use a shaped paper loaf liner. It saves having to measure and cut lining paper by hand.
You might also like...
Mary Berry's classic chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Our easy butterfly buns recipe is perfect for kids. We've kept our butterfly cake recipe simple - just slice the tops off and fill with buttercream and jam...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake
Make a perfectly rich chocolate cake with luxurious chocolate icing using Mary Berry's chocolate cake recipe...
By Mary Berry • Published
Looking for cake recipes? To celebrate the Royal Wedding, Julia Speare-Cole, a relative of Queen Victoria's close friend, has teamed up with Stoves and celebrity chef Brian Turner to create a Catherine sponge, using Kate Middleton's favourite ingredients
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Make this Mother's Day one to remember with John Lewis and AirPods
By Emily Stedman • Published
Morrisons launches special ‘Pocket Money Menu’ so children can pay on Mother's Day
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published