Warming and delicious with three different types of cheese, this pasta bake is an ingenious way to get your kids to happily eat aubergine.
- 2 aubergines, cut lengthways into 1cm slices
- Salt flakes and black pepper
- 300g rigatoni
- 3tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the dish
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli,deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g lean minced beef
- 3tbsp tomato purée
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 × 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Handful of basil leaves, finely chopped
- 600g low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 125g ball of mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Put the aubergine slices in a colander, sprinkle generously with salt and stand the colander over a bowl for 15–20 mins to draw out the water.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 8–10 mins, or according to packet instructions, until al dente. Drain, drizzle with 1tbsp of the oil, season and toss. Set aside
- Heat another 1tbsp of the oil in a sauté pan over a medium heat and cook the onion, chilli and garlic for 2–3 mins, stirring. Add the minced beef and cook for another 5–6 mins, until it's browned all over. Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce, season, then add the tomatoes and basil.Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF, gas mark 5).
- Meanwhile, rinse the salt from the aubergine slices and pat dry with kitchen paper. Pour the remaining oil into a large nonstick frying pan or griddle placed over a high heat, and fry or griddle the aubergine for 1–2 mins on each side until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches.
- Lightly oil a 22 × 28cm (8½ × 11in) deep ovenproof dish. Lay a third of the aubergine into the dish, then spread over half the pasta. Add half the cottage cheese, then half the minced beef and a third of the Parmesan. Repeat the layers, then finish with the remaining aubergine slices and Parmesan. Arrange the mozzarella evenly over the top. Bake for 30 mins, until bubbling around the sides. Serve hot.
Top Tip for making Tana Ramsay's beef and aubergine rigatoni bake
Top tip: Prepare in advance and pop into the oven an hour before you're ready to eat!
Soft baked aubergine stuffed and flavoured with a host of aromatic herbs...
By Samuel Goldsmith • Last updated
Pasta with smoked salmon and cream
Goodtoknow has lots of easy recipes and dinner for one recipes like this pasta with smoked salmon cream sauce. Find out more easy recipes at www.goodtoknow.co.uk
By Jennifer Shepherd • Published
Pasta shells with crayfish
This pasta shells with crayfish recipe is so easy to make and only takes 20 mins to rustle up
By Jessica Dady • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
The Queen's strange pasta rule that Princess Charlotte breaks
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Winter Love Island has been confirmed for 2023
Winter Love Island is back for another year
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
Aldi is selling two brand new autumn gins and they look incredible
By Naomi Jamieson • Published