Kick start your day with these tasty blackberry and apple oaty flapjacks. The apples will give you a great energy boost while the oats will keep you full till lunch - the kids will love the sweet caramel taste! These flapjacks are so easy to make and take only 45 mins in total. You can whip up 12 standard size flapjack squares using this recipe. The tangy blackberries and the soft, sweet apple make a mouth-watering combination. It's a great way of using up the glut of fruit you might have during the winter months.
- 300g (10oz) eating apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 397g can ready-made caramel e.g. Carnation Caramel
- 200g (7oz) porridge oats
- 2tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 300g (11oz) fresh or frozen forest fruits
For the crumbly topping:
- 55g (2oz) porridge oats
- 15g (½oz) butter, finely cubed
- 55g (2oz) toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
- Tip the apple into a saucepan with 6tbsp of water, cover with a lid and cook until soft (about 5-6 mins). Drain the excess water and puree in a blender or mash with a potato masher.
- Tip 200g (7oz) of the oats and the cinnamon into a large bowl and add the cooked apple and two-thirds of the caramel. Mix well.
- For the base: spread two-thirds of the oat mixture onto the base of the tin and push into the corners with the back of a spoon for a completely smooth layer.
- Tumble the berries on top of the base. Beat the caramel in the can then drizzle over the berries.
- Make a crumbly topping: add 55g (2oz) oats to the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix well. Using your fingers rub in the butter (it gets a little messy!). Add the almonds and stir together.
- Dot the final oat mixture over the berries and press down slightly to stick all the layers together. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy with a blob of Greek yogurt or clotted cream.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Looking for an easy, speedy and delicious flapjack recipes? These simple apple flapjacks make a great breakfast or energy-boosting snack for your family for a whole week.
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Florentine flapjack bars
By Rose Fooks • Published
Mary Berry’s flapjack
Mary Berry’s flapjack recipe takes only 30 minutes to bake, making 24 bars. These soft flapjacks use only 4 ingredients making them a cheap and easy option
By Mary Berry • Published
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Winter Love Island has been confirmed for 2023
Winter Love Island is back for another year
By Caitlin Elliott • Last updated
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published