Chocolate and pear makes a delicious combination in these chocolate and pear cupcakes. The richness of the chocolate is perfectly complemented by the sweetness of the fruit. Take this tasty pairing and give it the cupcake treatment with our exclusive recipe from our cupcake queen Victoria Threader. The rich chocolate ganache is a classic recipe to master and can be used to top many different cake recipes. The crisp pears add a lovely finish to these super-soft cakes - you won't be able to have just one! This recipe makes 14 - which is 2 more than the standard muffin trays so you'll need to bake the extra in baking cups if you have them.
For the cupcakes:
- 120g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 30g cocoa powder
- 50g butter, room temperature
- 115g dark soft brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 125ml sour cream
- 4 sweet ripe pears
- 4tbsp water
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
For the ganache
- 200g 50% dark chocolate, chopped
- 75ml double cream
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1tbsp golden syrup
You will also need:
- 12-hole deep muffin pan plus 2 baking cups (optional)
- 14 cupcake cases
- Vegetable peeler
- Pre-heat your oven to 160ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3. Line your tray with 12 cupcake cases and have 2 spare baking cups for the extra mix.
- Peel and chop 3 of the pears and poach them in the water, caster sugar and vanilla extract until soft but still firm. Leave to cool.
- Finely slice the other pear with a veg peeler. Using a silicone pastry brush, cover the slices in the the leftover syrup from the poached pears and pop them in the oven. Bake, on a grill pan so the juices drain into the bottom of the pan, for about 15 mins until they are golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool and crisp.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the eggs, butter and sour cream and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and then divide the diced poached pear in to the cases, pushing them down a little with your finger.
- Bake for 25 mins or until they have risen and spring back when you lightly press the tops. Remove from the tray and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the ganache, melt your chocolate, butter, golden syrup and cream for a minute at a time on a low setting in the microwave so the chocolate doesn't burn. Stir each time and continue until your ganache is smooth and silky.
- If the cakes have risen over the tops of the cases, just trim the tops flat. Add the ganache to the tops of the cakes and decorate with the pear crisps.
Top Tip for making Chocolate and pear cupcakes
If you don't have enough time to make the chocolate ganache you could always use melted chocolate instead - but just remember it will set quickly
You might also like…
Classic chocolate cupcake recipe
Basic cupcake recipe
The Hummingbird Bakery's vanilla cupcakes recipe
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodToKnow is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Our easy chocolate cupcake recipe takes 20 minutes to bake and have a rich chocolate buttercream topping.
By Rosie Conroy Last updated
This vanilla cupcakes recipe comes from the famous Hummingbird Bakery in London.
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Halloween pumpkin cupcakes
These Halloween pumpkin cupcakes contain pumpkin puree in the cake batter and take 18 minutes to bake.
By Jessica Ransom Last updated
Our grape focaccia is delicious warm or cold and tastes similar to an oozy jam doughnut
By Rose Fooks Published
Orange polenta and olive oil cake
This orange polenta and olive oil cake has just a handful of ingredients and will taste even better if you can bake it a couple of days ahead.
By Rose Fooks Published
Fish pie with swede mash
Swap the usual potato topping for a sweet, earthy swede mash instead with this fish pie with swede mash recipe...
By Rose Fooks Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney Published
Kate Middleton has reportedly ‘FaceTimed’ her kids everyday while in hospital as Prince William holds down the fort at home
The Princess of Wales is recovering from surgery in The London Clinic
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse Published
Here's why popcorn isn't for toddlers - brave mum shares warning over 'harmless-looking' snack that can be a go-to
You might think twice about handing your child the snack after a brave mum shares her ordeal
By Selina Maycock Published