A thick, luxurious chocolate buttercream is what makes these chocolate cupcakes so indulgent.
This easy chocolate cupcake recipe is simple to follow and makes perfectly delicious chocolate cupcakes every time. We’ve topped our cupcakes with chocolate buttercream but you could opt for a cream cheese frosting instead. The chocolate sponge is rich in flavour, yet light and spongy in texture. This cupcake recipe (opens in new tab) makes 12 chocolate cupcakes.
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼tsp of vanilla extract
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 600g icing sugar sifted
- 200g unsalted butter
- 80g cocoa powder
- 80ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) gas 3.
- Put flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder, salt and butter in a free-standing mixer with paddle attachment. Mix together until you have a sandy consistency.
- Whisk milk, egg and vanilla in a jug. Slowly pour half into the mixture, beat to combine and then turn the mixer up to high speed to get rid of any lumps.
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and pour in the remaining mixture. Continue to mix for a couple of mins. Do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture into the 12 cases and cook for 20 mins.
- For the chocolate buttercream: Beat icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together in a free-standing mixer on a medium speed. Turn down to a low speed and add milk gradually, once mixed turn up to a high speed again and beat for approx 5 mins and mixture is light and fluffy.
- Use a piping bag and metal nozzle to pipe onto top of cooled cupcakes.
Watch how to make chocolate cupcakes
Top tips for making this chocolate cupcake recipe
Decorate with edible gold stars, glitter - the choice is yours. You could also try decorating these chocolate cupcakes with regal iced cutouts or luster spray. Or keep it simple with fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries.
What cocoa powder is best for chocolate cupcakes?
Supermarket brands such as Asda's own brand cocoa powder are great for making cupcakes on a budget. If you're looking for a richer, darker flavour we'd choose Bournville cocoa powder - it's a little more pricey than supermarket brands but is perfect if you're looking for a rich chocolate sponge each time.
Are chocolate cupcakes better made with butter or oil?
In our opinion, we would recommend making chocolate cupcakes with butter rather than oil. Butter makes the chocolate sponge extra soft, moist and spongey. We find that using oil can give the cupcakes a sheen, glossy appearance along with a lightly greased texture. If you're looking for a healthier alternative to butter, choose nut butter or dairy-free options.
You might also like…
Mary Berry's chocolate cake (opens in new tab)
Vanilla cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)
Red velvet cupcakes (opens in new tab)