Go for something a little different with this cream of courgette soup - speedy, healthy and tasty.
This soup takes just over half an hour to make and it's a revelation. If you've never thought of making a soup centred on courgettes before, this is the one to try. The pungent brie melted through the creamy broth makes the perfect addition. Courgettes are in season in the UK from mid June until the end of October. It's the perfect season to try this soup, over the warm summer and autumn days when you fancy something light, fresh and lovely. It's also the time when courgettes are at their cheapest, making this a very affordable meal.
- 350g potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 500g courgettes, roughly chopped (cut of a few thin slices and reserve for garnish)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g brie, cut into small pieces
- A little milk or water
- Crème fraîche or croutons, for garnish (optional)
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and add the stock.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the courgettes and onions and simmer, covered, for a further 8 – 10 minutes until everything is softened.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted in. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cool a little, then blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return to the pan and add a little milk, water or stock until you get the consistency you like.
- Serve with a swirl of crème fraîche or topped with croutons, and a couple of courgette slices.
Top tip for making cream of courgette soup
Add other leftover vegetables to this recipe, such as a handful of peas, a few florets of broccoli or cauliflower or green beans.
On hot days, this also works well as a chilled soup.
You might also like...
- Cauliflower soup (opens in new tab)
- Healthy soup recipes (opens in new tab)
Octavia Lillywhite is an award-winning food and lifestyle journalist with over 15 years of experience. With a passion for creating beautiful, tasty family meals that don’t use hundreds of ingredients or anything you have to source from obscure websites, she’s a champion of local and seasonal foods, using up leftovers and composting, which, she maintains, is probably the most important thing we all can do to protect the environment.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
McDonald's potato waffles are coming to the UK as legendary burger is scrapped
We're so ready for McDonald's potato waffles
By Caitlin Elliott • Published