Chicken is our favourite meat and we can't get enough ideas for serving it so here is delicious recipe for roasting chicken. Just brush on an orange, maple syrup and mustard glaze and cook with roast butternut squash, onion wedges and garlic cloves
Why not elevate your roast chicken by adding some delicious sage and onion stuffing with our super easy recipe.
- 1.5-1.75kg (3-3½lb) fresh free-range chicken
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1kg (2¼lb) butternut squash, deseeded, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- A couple of sprigs of sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cabbage or other greens, to serve
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Halve and juice the orange, set aside juice, and put the orange shells inside the chicken cavity. Put the bird in a large roasting tin. Whisk the maple syrup with the mustard, add seasoning and brush the mixture all over the chicken.
- Add the butternut squash chunks and tuck in the onion wedges, garlic cloves and sage-leaf sprigs. Drizzle the vegetables with the oil. Roast the chicken for 1½-2 hours, depending on its weight.
- Lift the chicken out of the tin and put on a platter or board for 10 mins. Take the butternut squash and onion out and place in a serving dish. Add the orange juice to some of the roasting-tin juices, and thicken, if you like, to make a sauce to go with the roast chicken. Serve with greens.
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World • Last updated
Jazz up your kids' lunch times by preparing these healthy chicken pittas. Full of flavour but only 62 cals per serving, they're perfect for lunchboxes or a weekend treat
By Jessica Dady • Published
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Pizza Hut is launching a roast dinner pizza and food fans are torn
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published
You can now get your Toby Carvery roast dinner delivered with Just Eat
That’s right, a roast dinner delivered to your door
By Jessica Ransom • Published