Chicken is our favourite meat and we can't get enough ideas for serving it so here is delicious recipe for roasting chicken. Just brush on an orange, maple syrup and mustard glaze and cook with roast butternut squash, onion wedges and garlic cloves
Why not elevate your roast chicken by adding some delicious sage and onion stuffing with our super easy recipe.
- 1.5-1.75kg (3-3½lb) fresh free-range chicken
- 1 orange
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1kg (2¼lb) butternut squash, deseeded, peeled and cut into big chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- A couple of sprigs of sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cabbage or other greens, to serve
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Halve and juice the orange, set aside juice, and put the orange shells inside the chicken cavity. Put the bird in a large roasting tin. Whisk the maple syrup with the mustard, add seasoning and brush the mixture all over the chicken.
- Add the butternut squash chunks and tuck in the onion wedges, garlic cloves and sage-leaf sprigs. Drizzle the vegetables with the oil. Roast the chicken for 1½-2 hours, depending on its weight.
- Lift the chicken out of the tin and put on a platter or board for 10 mins. Take the butternut squash and onion out and place in a serving dish. Add the orange juice to some of the roasting-tin juices, and thicken, if you like, to make a sauce to go with the roast chicken. Serve with greens.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Jessica Dady is Food Editor at GoodTo and has over 11 years of experience as a digital editor, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the must-buy seasonal food hampers and advent calendars for Christmas to the family-friendly air fryers that’ll make dinner time a breeze, Jessica loves trying and testing various food products to find the best of the best for the busy parents among us. Over the years of working with GoodTo, Jessica has had the privilege of working alongside Future’s Test Kitchen to create how-to videos exclusively for GoodtoEat - as well as writing, testing, and shooting her own recipes. When she’s not embracing the great outdoors with her family at the weekends, Jessica enjoys baking up a storm in the kitchen with her favourite bakes being chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, and a tray of gooey chocolate brownies.
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World Last updated
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Jazz up your kids' lunch times by preparing these healthy chicken pittas. Full of flavour but only 62 cals per serving, they're perfect for lunchboxes or a weekend treat
By Jessica Dady Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published