Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Fish and chips aren’t just for Friday – you’ll want to eat Gousto's version every day of the week! Do away with grease-soaked newspaper and coat your fish in chive crumbs instead, using lemony mayo as a dip for chips. On the table in just 30 minutes and 2 of your 5-a-day.
Gousto's fish and chips recipe is a great alternative to your Friday night takeaway and is much healthier too! By swapping out the greasy batter for chive crumbs you can create a low-calorie and low-fat version of your favourite takeaway. Serve your lightly crumbed fish and homemade chips with mushie peas or tartare sauce (opens in new tab) for a real treat. It's a family favourite that can be on the table in just 30 minutes. If you're feeling adventurous you can swap out the basa fillets for cod, haddock, or halibut!
- 2 lemons
- 10g chives
- 4 x 100g basa fillets
- 4 carrots
- 90ml mayonnaise
- 320g mixed green veg
- 60g panko breadcrumbs
- 6 medium white potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C (fan)/ 425°F/ Gas 7. Cut the potatoes (skins on) into thin chips. Add the chips to a baking tray with a generous drizzle of vegetable oil and a pinch of salt. Give everything a good mix up and put the tray in the oven for 20-25 min or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, chop the chives finely. Combine the chopped chives with the panko breadcrumbs and a generous pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil and stir it together until all of the breadcrumbs are coated in the oil – this is your chive crumb
- Add the basa fillets to a separate baking tray and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Top the fish evenly with the chive crumb and press it into the fish using the back of a spoon. Put the tray in the oven for 12-15 min or until golden and cooked through
- While the fish is cooking, combine the juice of half a lemon with the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper – this is your lemony mayo.
- Boil a kettle. Top, tail, peel and chop the carrots into batons.
- Add the carrot batons to a pot with plenty of boiling water over a high heat. Once boiling, cook for 1 min. Trim the green beans, then add the green veg and cook for a further 3-4 min or until tender with a bite. Once done, drain the vegetables and return them to the pot with a knob of butter. Keep covered until serving.
- Cut the remaining lemon into wedges. Serve the breaded fish with the chips, vegetables and lemony mayo to the side. Garnish with a wedge of lemon and enjoy! From recipe box company Gousto's Everyday Favourites range. Gousto delivers precise ingredients and easy-to-follow recipe cards, with free delivery, 40 weekly recipes and prices from £2.98 per person. More information at www.gousto.co.uk (opens in new tab)