Joe Wicks’ fish finger sandwich has a zingy yogurt sauce which is low in cals but full of flavour.
Joe Wicks’ chicken pie recipe is the perfect example of comfort food with a healthy twist and this sandwich is no different. Making your fish fingers from scratch is easier than you might think and they taste so much better. Speaking about the recipe, Joe says: ‘
- 4 x 130g boneless and skinless cod fillets
- 75g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp zero-fat Greek yoghurt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 large sub rolls
- 2 gherkins, sliced thinly lengthways
- 2 handfuls of watercress, to serve
- Take each fillet of fish and cut it in half to make eight ‘fingers’. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls.
- Pick up one fish finger and dip it into the flour, giving it a little shake to remove any excess. Dip the finger into the egg and then finally into the breadcrumbs. Repeat the process with all of the fish fingers.
- It is likely that you will have to cook the fingers in two batches, so melt half of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. When it is hot, gently lay the crumbed fish in the pan and fry for about 2 minutes on all four sides. Drain the cooked fingers on a clean piece of kitchen roll and repeat the cooking process with the remaining crumbed fingers.
- While the second batch of fish is cooking, mix together the yoghurt, lemon juice, parsley and shallot. Spread the sauce thinly over the inside of the sub rolls.
- When all the fish fingers are cooked, pile them into the sub rolls, top with the sliced gherkins and watercress, and chow down.
Top tips for making Joe Wicks' fish finger sandwich
Fish is a great source of protein and generally has less calories than meat, so these fish fingers will still be a filling meal without breaking the diet. To make this fish finger sandwich even tastier, Joe suggests spicing up your fish fingers by adding ground spices such as paprika or cumin to the flour or breadcrumbs. Continue reading for more tips and tricks.
What do you serve with fish finger sandwiches?
This sandwich is filling enough to be enjoyed on its own but you could serve it with a side salad if you like. If you’re looking for a real treat, you could also serve the sandwich with some salt and vinegar laced chips! Any leftover sauce should also be close by so you can dunk the sandwich in.
Can you put cheese on a fish finger sandwich?
Although not included in this recipe, if you want to include cheese in your sandwich you certainly can! Some people like to use a square of burger cheese as the hot sandwich does have a burger-vibe to it.
Is a fish finger sandwich healthy?
This sandwich contains 76g protein and 6.4g saturated fat, which is lower than you’d expect to find in a meat alternative. This sandwich is an excellent post workout meal and cooking it from scratch means you can be confident about the ingredients inside. As the sandwich is nearly 950 calories per portion, it’s best enjoyed in moderation as part of an active lifestyle.
Cooking for Family and Friends: 100 Lean Recipes to Enjoy Together by Joe Wicks (Bluebird, £9) - View at Amazon
If you love to host dinner parties but want to make sure you’re still eating healthily, this cookbook is perfect for you. There are lots of delicious options including breakfast feasts such as apple and almond power porridge and baked eggs and salmon.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Joe Wicks aka ‘The Body Coach’ rose to fame after his Instagram videos started to go viral. With 15-minute recipes and HIIT (high-intensity interval training) workouts to do at home, Joe quickly became one of the most followed personal trainers in the country.
- Jessica RansomSenior Food Writer
Herby chicken with Romesco sauce
Herby chicken flavoured simply with oregano with a rich Romesco sauce - which makes a great dip.
By Jessica Ransom Published
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay Published