Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Our special cooking with kids recipe will show you how to make meatballs with your children. It’s easy to get those authentic Italian flavours in your own home with this classic dish of spaghetti and meatballs. The kids will love getting their hands stuck in by making their own meatballs and of course the only way to eat spaghetti is to slurp – so remember if you haven’t made a mess, you haven’t eaten it right! Use as many fresh herbs as you have, but dried will work great as a substitute.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp dried basil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 500g spaghetti
- Handful of fresh basil or parsley
- Child: Add the oregano and basil to a clean bowl and add the mince. Squish the mince between your fingers mixing it with the herbs and divide into 16 portions. Roll into balls in your hands and then wash your hands clean.
- Mum or Dad: Make the tomato sauce by frying the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the meatballs and fry for a few minutes until browned on the outside. Add the tomato puree and tinned tomatoes, season and allow to simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat until the meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile bring a saucepan of boiling water to a rapid boil and add the spaghetti. Cook until al dente and strain. Serve the meatball sauce with the spaghetti.
- Child: Tear the fresh herbs and sprinkle over everyone’s plate.
Top Tip for making Make with kids: spaghetti and meatballs
Introduce children to the distinct taste of Parmesan cheese by letting them grate their own over their meal.