A warming bowl of creamy, mushroom soup that is deliciously filling but less than 500 calories.
For sheer ability to satisfy and comfort on a bad day, mushroom soup might be our favourite choice. Delicately flavoured with garlic, butter and shallots, this version is so creamy and indulgent, but it's still quick and simple to make. It serves two and it's ready in a little over half an hour. You can use any kind of mushrooms, or a combination. However, adding in at least a few chestnut or portobellini ones will deepen the earthy flavour of the soup. Finish with some freshly chopped parsley and served with some crusty bread for dipping.
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 400g mushrooms, wiped and roughly chopped
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100ml double cream
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the butter in a large pan and fry the shallots and garlic for 5 mins until softened but not brown. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the stock and season with salt and freshly-ground black pepper. Simmer for 10 mins until the mushrooms are very tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 mins. Remove a few mushrooms to add at the end for texture, then puree the remaining soup with a stick blender or transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Stir the cream into the pureed soup and heat through gently for 2-3 mins. Return the unpuréed mushrooms to the pan and stir. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve in warmed bowls garnished with parsley.
Top tip for making mushroom soup
For an extra punch of flavour, why not add in whole wild mushrooms like porcini or shiitake. Available to buy dried in supermarkets, simply soak in boiling water for 30 minutes, drain and then sprinkle on top.
If you want to reduce the calorie count further, swap the cream for some half fat crème fraîche.
You might also like...
Healthy soup recipes (opens in new tab)
Gordon Ramsay’s pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms (opens in new tab)
Mushroom and hazelnut soup (opens in new tab)