Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This traditionally Sicilian dish, supposedly named after Bellini’s opera ‘norma’. It offers a great vegetarian recipe; simple and with only a few ingredients but full of authentic Italian flavour. Ricotta salata, a fantastic dry salted ricotta is traditionally used for its pungent crumbly texture, but feta would substitute well, as would parmesan as we’ve done. It’s a super speedy nutritious meal to have on the dinner table in no time.
- 2 aubergines, cubed
- 2tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tbspdried oregano
- 1tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- Large bunch of fresh basil, torn
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 500g pack of dried penne
- Parmesan cheese, for garnishing
- First, fry the cubes of aubergines in batches in a hot pan adding oil as needed. Once all cooked, transfer to one pan and add garlic and cook for further 2mins. Sprinkle over oregano and chilli flakes. Add tomatoes and simmer for 10-15mins until thickened. Add half the torn basil leaves and take off heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile cook spaghetti according to packet instructions and strain, reserving a cup full of the cooking water.
- Add spaghetti to pan of sauce and mix to coat well, adding the cooking water if needed to loosen. Serve in bowls with extra basil torn over the top and a grating of fresh parmesan.
Top Tip for making Pasta alla norma
If you want a smoother sauce, blitz up the tinned tomatoes in a blender before adding to sauce. Alternatively try using tinned passata.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World fruity pasta salad
This fresh, citrusy pasta salad makes a delicious light lunch and is ideal picnic food. A fruity pasta by Slimming World with orange, apples, and grapes...
By Slimming World • Published
Make this classic lasagne with layers of lean beef mince and tomato sauce. It's an easy Italian lasagne recipe the whole family will love...
By Jessica Dady • Published
Pasta with smoked salmon and cream
Goodtoknow has lots of easy recipes and dinner for one recipes like this pasta with smoked salmon cream sauce. Find out more easy recipes at www.goodtoknow.co.uk
By Jennifer Shepherd • Published
Red velvet cupcakes
Red velvet cupcakes from the Hummingbird Bakery have deep red sponge with a delicious cream cheese frosting. They are delightfully decadent.
By Jessica Dady • Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Mrs Hinch leaves the internet in shock with very bizarre dinner recipe
By Hayley Minn • Published
The Revlon Blow Dry Brush the internet lost its mind over is so cheap for Amazon Prime Day
The best-selling Revlon Blow Dry Brush that went viral online has been price slashed
By Caitlin Elliott • Published