Hot roast Jersey Royals topped with zingy lemon zest, Maldon sea salt and lemon thyme, this new potato side dish is a cut above the rest.
Unlike regular roast potatoes, these potatoes require no peeling or parboiling – simply toss them with the generous seasoning and pop them in the oven. For added flavour, try toasting coriander seeds in a dry pan and adding them at the last five minutes of roasting for a little crunch and a subtle, mild spice. Jersey Royals are in season from March to July, but other new potatoes will also work well.
- 500g Jersey Royal potatoes
- Olive oil
- Maldon sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- Sprigs of lemon thyme
- Heat the oven to 220C/ Gas 7. Scatter the Jersey royal potatoes into 1 large or 2 smaller roasting tins, and rub well in oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes in the oven for 20 mins. The skin should start to crisp and turn a golden colour. Reduce the oven temperature to 190C/Gas 5, shake the potatoes, add the garlic and cook for a further 20 mins.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and, using a large grater setting, grate lemon rind over them. Add lemon thyme sprigs, give everything a toss and return to the oven for 5 more mins.
Top tip for making these roast Jersey Royals
For an extra pop of green, try topping with thinly sliced spring onions or shredded watercress just before serving.
You might also like...
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Elisa is a chef, food stylist and journalist. She has also been the editorial director of food and drinks content for more than 40 magazines and websites. As well as being host of the brand new Careers Conversations series podcast at Food Matters Live.
Mars bar Easter nests
Mini Mars bar nests are so easy to make with the kids and can be decorated with your favourite Easter treats like chocolate eggs
By Jessica Dady Published
Creme Egg Scotch eggs
We all love a Scotch egg – on a picnic out or as a delicious snack at home. But this is the ultimate Scotch egg – the Scotch Creme Egg.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Decorated cookies for Easter
Looking for biscuit recipes, easter recipes, gizzie erskine recipes or easter biscuit recipes? Gizzi Erskine shows you how to make these easy biscuits in our step-by-step video recipe, plus fun decorating ideas for the kids.
By Gizzi Erskine Published