Sacha says: ‘I combined and adapted my favourite carrot cake topping and frosted lemon cake recipe, together with my homemade lemon curd to create this gorgeous cake’
- For the lemon and lime cake:
- 180g/6oz self-raising flour
- 180g/6oz caster sugar
- 60g/2oz ground almonds
- 120g/4oz butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 5tbsp milk
- Grated rind of 2 large lemons
- For the lemon curd filling:
- 4-5 tbsp of lemon curd (try
- For the lime icing:
- Grated rind of a lime
- Juice of a lime
- 75g/3oz sieved icing sugar
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 x 300g tub full-fat cream cheese (at room temperature)
- Sliced fresh limes for decoration (optional)
- You'll also need:
- 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/Fan 180ºC/gas 6. Grease 2 sandwich tins and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
For the lemon and lime cake: Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together until smooth, add the eggs and combine. Then sift in the flour and add in the ground almonds and milk and mix together until smooth.
Divide the mixture between the 2 sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins until cooked (or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean). Allow to cool slightly, then remove from tins and place onto a cooling rack.
To make the lime icing: Beat the butter in a bowl using an electric whisk, then add the cream cheese. Combine until smooth, add the lime juice and zest then add icing sugar. Beat until smooth.
Spread the lemon curd on top of one of the cakes then place the other cake on top to sandwich together.
Spread the lime icing on the top of the sandwiched cakes then decorate with lime if you wish. Enjoy!
You might also like...