A crisp and buttery layer of shortbread, covered with decadent salted caramel and topped with Mini Eggs and chocolate.
This Mini Egg Millionaire's shortbread is shortbread a triple-layered delight. It's really simple to make. All you need is a little time and patience between making each layer for it to cool and set. But it's worth the wait. It cuts into eight generous slices that make a delicious teatime treat. Alternatively, you could serve it up for pudding after an Easter Sunday roast. The chocolate topping will harden into a solid layer so use a warm knife to cut it into neat pieces, otherwise the chocolate can crack in unexpected places.
For this Easter recipe (opens in new tab) you will need:
- 150g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- 200-225g plain flour
For the salted caramel:
- 150ml double cream
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 30g salted butter
- Pinch of sea salt
For the chocolate topping:
- 200g milk chocolate
- 1 pack Mini Eggs
- Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 and line a deep edged baked tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until pale. Sift the flour and mix until combined.
- Tip the mixture into the baking tray and bake for 30 mins until golden, leave to cool.
- For the salted caramel: Place the cream, sugar and butter in a small pan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then simmer for 2 mins until it begins to thicken. Taste and add some salt accordingly.
- Pour the salted caramel over the cool biscuit base and leave to cool in the fridge for about 10-20 mins.
- Crush most of the Mini Eggs in a small cellophane bag using a rolling pin, leave some whole for decorating, and sprinkle half over the salted caramel.
- For the chocolate topping: Melt the chocolate on a low heat in the microwave, stirring every now and then until melted. Leave to cool slightly and then pour over the Mini Eggs and salted caramel. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed Mini Eggs and then pop back in the fridge for about 5 mins. Add the whole Mini Eggs and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
Top tip for making Mini Egg millionaire's shortbread
We've used milk chocolate for the topping here, but for a slightly more grown up version you can use dark chocolate, which will be less sweet. If you're making this at any other time of year, you can use milk or dark chocolate, and then swirls of white chocolate over the top to create a lovely two-tone effect. Top with smarties or silver almonds.
You might also like…
Mini Egg recipes (opens in new tab)
Mini Egg Cookies (opens in new tab)
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Rocky road Easter eggs
Rocky road Easter eggs are so easy to make with just 4 ingredients including white chocolate, Mini Eggs and marshmallows. Easy and delicious!
By Anneliese Giggins • Published
Mars bar Easter nests
Mini Mars bar nests are so easy to make with the kids and can be decorated with your favourite Easter treats like chocolate eggs
By Jessica Dady • Published
Creme Egg Scotch eggs
We all love a Scotch egg – on a picnic out or as a delicious snack at home. But this is the ultimate Scotch egg – the Scotch Creme Egg.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
M&S Food's Easter eggs have arrived and customers are not happy
Chocolate Easter eggs have already been spotted at Marks and Spencer's supermarkets
By Emma Dooney • Published
Kinder Surprise salmonella warning issued as chocolate eggs RECALLED ahead of Easter
By Selina Maycock • Published
Costa HOT CROSS BUN lattes and hot chocolates are here for Easter 2022
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published