Slimming World’s lamb tagine is a delicious stew with exotic spices and meltingly tender meat.
If you've never thought of making a tagine before, this is a great one to start with - in fact it's one of our most popular Slimming World recipes. It only takes four simple steps, and it's a lovely, rich, warming stew of tender lamb chunks in a spiced tomato sauce. Traditionally this meal would be made in a conical earthenware pot called a tagine - and if you have one, you can use it. But don't worry if you don't - this recipe uses a normally casserole pot and just bubbles over a low temperature for about 40 minutes. If you have a slow cooker, you could cook it in there instead.
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 500g lean lamb leg steaks, visible fat removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp sweetener
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 courgettes, halved lengthways and sliced
- Small handful finely chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
- Spray a non-stick casserole pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Add the onion, spices and lamb and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and sweetener and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low then cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Stir in the carrots and courgettes and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Season to taste, scatter over the coriander, and serve hot.
Top tips for making Slimming World’s lamb tagine
Tagines are usually a meaty dish - often made with lamb or chicken. You can do vegetarian versions though. Swap the lamb in this recipe for Quorn pieces or you could try using jackfruit as an alternative.
This tagine is best served hot. If you have any leftovers, keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days and reheat thoroughly before serving.
For more information on the Slimming World plan, visit slimmingworld.co.uk
You might also like...
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Slimming World is a weight management organisation that dates back from 1969. It holds thousands of weekly groups for members all over the UK influencing millions of people to eat healthier and manage their weight. From breakfast to lunch, from dinner to dessert, we’ve got lots of healthy and simple Slimming World recipes and ideas to keep you on track when it comes to taking part of the Slimming World plan.
Slimming World coronation quiche
This Slimming World coronation quiche is certainly fit for royalty packed with spinach, broad beans, and fresh tarragon...
By Slimming World Published
Stuffed roast marrow
Stuffed roast marrow is a delicious way to cook an underrated vegetable, for a delicious vegetarian dinner that contains plenty of portions of vegetables.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slimming World mince pies
Make your Christmas that little bit healthier with Slimming World mince pies. Made using ready-made mincemeat, they're ready in just 40 minutes
By Slimming World Published