The kids are going to love making these quick Smarties cupcakes ready in just 20 minutes, four simple steps
These easy Smarties cupcakes are made by Kirstie Allsopp as demonstrated in the video below. These cupcakes are made with cocoa powder and condensed milk. Kirstie says the condensed milk creates “a smooth batter and gives the cupcakes a moist finish.” Pipe a swirl of fudgy chocolate buttercream and finish with plenty of Smarties.
For the cupcakes:
- 100g (3 1/2oz) plain flour
- 25g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 250g (9oz) condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 85g (3oz) 70% fat buttery spread
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
For the frosting and Smarties decoration:
- 200g (7oz) icing sugar
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 55g (2oz) 70% fat buttery spread, softened
- Few drops vanilla extract
- 1-2tbsp condensed milk (try Carnation condensed milk)
- 2 boxes mini smarties, to decorate
You will also need:
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 cupcake or muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake or muffin cases.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder, condensed milk, egg, vanilla extract, buttery spread and baking powder in a bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer for 2 - 3 mins until pale and fluffy.
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into the cases and bake for approximately 15 - 18 mins until springy to the touch and golden brown. Cool slightly then transfer to a cooling wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting and decoration: Beat the icing sugar, cocoa powder, buttery spread and vanilla with enough condensed milk to bring the mixture to a soft consistency. Spread or pipe onto the cakes. Decorate with the smarties.
Top tips for making Smarties cupcakes
Let your imagination run wild with toppings for your cupcakes - there are loads of great decorations in the shops or use chopped nuts, banana chips, curls of chocolate or silver balls. You could even use other chocolate bars too like chocolate buttons or M&M’s.
You might also like…
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake recipe (opens in new tab)
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Rosemary Conley's beef steak pie
This healthy beef steak pie is packed with a lean meat and topped with a delicious flaky golden pastry topping.
By Rosemary Conley • Published
You don't need a traditional clay oven to make naan. Learn how to make naan bread in a frying pan - for wonderfully light, fluffy bread every time...
By Sue McMahon • Published
Chicken and bacon risotto
Chicken and bacon risotto is a quick and easy meal for the whole family. Our recipe takes just 40 minutes to prep and cook...
By Sue McMahon • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Royal pastry chef shares Queen's birthday cupcake recipe
Who doesn’t love a cupcake? They’re as delicious as they are charming, and no one will judge you for eating the entire thing!
By Keiron George • Published
Why did EasyJet cancel flights? All you need to know about the airport disruptions
Holidaymakers have been warned over NINE days of planned strikes expected to cause chaos this summer
By Selina Maycock • Published