A handful of store cupboard ingredients make up this mouth-watering pulled pork including Bart Smokehouse Barbecue Chipotle Rub.
Make sure you prepare our spicy pepper pulled pork recipe ahead of time as it will take around five hours to slow cook in the oven. You could also use a slow cooker. Finish off on the BBQ for an extra smokey flavour. This recipe serves six.
- 5kg boneless pork shoulder
- 1 pack Bart Smokehouse Barbecue Chipotle Rub
- 1tsp coarse black pepper
- 1tbsp oil
- 8tbsp ketchup
- 4tbsp cider vinegar
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tbsp honey
- Heat the oven to 220C, gas 7. Rub the pork skin with the chipotle mix, black pepper and oil. Put the pork onto a rack in a roasting tin and roast for 1 hr.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and honey.
- Skim off any fat from the roasting pan juices and remove the crackling from the pork, then set aside. Pour the ketchup mixture around the pork and cover the tin with foil. Turn the oven down to 150C, gas 3 and continue to cook for 4hrs, or cook on a BBQ for an extra smoky flavour.
- Put the cooked pork on a board and using two forks, shred the meat into small pieces. Stir the shredded meat back into the cooking juices, which should have reduced to a sauce.
- Serve the meat piled into baked sweet potatoes or burger buns with crackling, coleslaw and a rocket salad, garnished with sliced chilli and some spring onion.
Top tips for making spicy pepper pulled pork
We’ve served this spicy pepper pulled pork on top of jacket potatoes but you could serve it sandwiches between two toasted brioche buns or simple with a freshly made side salad. Serve it as it is to keep the calorie count down to 290 calories - perfect if as part of your 5:2 diet (opens in new tab) regime.
Any leftover pork (opens in new tab) can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat thoroughly before serving.
You might also like…
Low calorie meals (opens in new tab): Dinners under 500 calories
Pulled pork recipe (opens in new tab)
Our guide on how to roast pork (opens in new tab) - full of tips and tricks to ensure you cook perfect pork every time
Jessica Dady is Senior Content Editor at Goodto.com and has over 10 years of experience as a digital journalist, specialising in all things food, recipes, and SEO. From the best food hampers to cookbooks, from the best cake stands to baking sets, Jessica has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to must-have food products. A passionate baker, she spends much of her time creating celebration cakes for friends and family - particularly for her two lucky children.
Learn how to make pork curry at home with this cheap, quick and easy recipe. This delicious pork curry recipe is a real family favourite
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Spicy pepper pulled pork
By Jessica Dady • Published
Low-fat chicken burgers
If you love a burger but want to find a healthy alternative try this one using lower-fat ingredients.
By Keiron George • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
McDonald's shakes up its menu with new vegan burger and extra spicy wrap
McDonald's added the savoury bites to its UK menu on Wednesday, much to the excitement of its loyal customers
By Emma Dooney • Published
McDonald's potato waffles are coming to the UK as legendary burger is scrapped
We're so ready for McDonald's potato waffles
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Tesco, Morrisons, Asda and Sainsbury’s recall burgers as they warn customers ‘don’t eat’ them
Supermarkets have recalled burgers after warning customers 'don't eat' them.
By Selina Maycock • Published