This juicy steak board, inspired by Brazilian barbecues, is hard to resist. Any leftover morsels make wonderful sandwiches the next day.
Brazillian BBQ, known as churrasco originates from a southern region of Brazil, traditionally eaten by gauchos (South American cowboys). Churrasco is our inspiration for this recipe - a large cut of steak shared between a group of people and served with a piquant salsa. The salsa is a key element of this dish as its acidity cuts through the fatty-ness of the steak. Why not make a whole meal out of it? This would be delicious served with rainbow cabbage salad and these home made chips. The perfect meal to serve for an evening with friends. If you are cooking this outside BBQ season then you can throw the steak on a hot griddle.
- 750g beef skirt steak, fillet or hanger
- For the salsa verde:
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley
- ½ bunch basil, leaves picked
- ½ bunch mint, leaves picked
- 1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 5 drops Tabasco
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil, plus 1tbsp extra for the meat
- 45g anchovies
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- For the topping:
- 45g small capers
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, sliced and deseeded
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- Bring the meat to room temperature and pat down with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside. Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan or barbecue to high, until smoking with dry heat.
- While the barbecue heats up, make the salsa verde. Place all the salsa ingredients in a small food processor, season to taste and whizz to a rough, oily paste.
- Now place the steak on the grill and cook for 3-4 mins a side for medium-rare. Rest, lightly covered with foil, for 5 mins.
- Serve warm and sliced on a board, doused in salsa verde and topped with capers, spring onions, chilli and green pepper.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Elisa is a chef, food stylist and journalist. She has also been the editorial director of food and drinks content for more than 40 magazines and websites. As well as being host of the brand new Careers Conversations series podcast at Food Matters Live.
Slimming World's roast dinner
With Slimming World's roast dinner you'll never feel like you have to miss out on the most important meal of the week again.
By Slimming World Last updated
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Honey-roasted summer veg
Try honey-roasted summer veg from Woman's Weekly with your roast chicken, beef, lamb or pork. See our roast dinner recipes too.
By GoodtoKnow Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published