Make a perfect beef curry the old fashion way with this easy one-pot recipe from the Hairy Bikers.
To make the Hairy Bikers' beef curry, simply brown the meat, add the ingredients and let it simmer for 1.5 hours. Slow cooking in this way lets all of the spices, which include cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chilli powder and ground ginger, develop - and will leave the braising steak mouth-wateringly tender.
- 120ml ghee or vegetable oil
- 400g braising steak, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 200g canned tomatoes
- 125ml natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of sugar
- Heat a frying pan and add the ghee or oil. Brown the meat until sealed on all sides, then take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry until soft but not browned. Add all the spices and fry for 1 minute, no longer.
- Put the beef back in the pan with the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the yoghurt and vinegar, then season with the salt and sugar. Place back on the heat, bring back to the boil and simmer for at least 1½ hours until the meat is tender.
Top tips for making Hairy Bikers' beef curry
Alternatively, if you prefer, you can cook the curry in the oven. Pile it into an ovenproof dish and cook in a preheated oven at 190°C/Gas 5 for at least 2 hours.
You might also like...
Hairy Bikers' steak and ale pie
Wagamama chicken katsu curry
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Simon King and David Myers are the fantastic duo that make up the Hairy Bikers and are best known as Si and Dave. The Hairy Bikers have several cookbooks published including How to Love Food and Lose Weight and Eat for Life. Hairy Biker recipes are always triple tested and try to be as fuss-free as possible so you can trust the timings. Si and Dave have also had several hit cooking shows as they remain as one of the UK’s favourite cookery duos.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble
The Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble serves six and takes 40 minutes to cook
By Hairy Bikers Last updated
Hairy Bikers' vegan brownies
The Hairy Bikers' vegan brownies are perfect if you're looking for a guilt-free sweet treat to enjoy with a cuppa.
By Hairy Bikers Published