Turkey tikka masala is a lovely way to use up leftover turkey from a roast dinner if you have some in the fridge. If you don't have any leftover turkey then you can buy pre-cooked sliced breast meat from most supermarkets' deli sections. Made from scratch this sauce is rich and warming with a beautiful tomato-rich taste - perfect for complementing the mild turkey meat.
If you fancy you can serve yours up with fluffy basmati rice, as directed in the recipe below, or even some Indian breads like roti or naan. If you're feeling like being healthy then this recipe is great because turkey is such a lean meat.
For a veggie boost you could add a chopped salad to the side of this dish and skip the carbs. Any way you choose to serve it one thing's for sure, it'll be delicious!
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 level tbsp Tikka or garam massala curry powder
- 450-500g packet turkey breast, cubed
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cubed
- 1 large courgette, halved and sliced
- 2 level tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooked Basmati rice, to serve
- Tip the can of tomatoes into a large saucepan and add 300ml (½ pint) water, stock cube and curry powder. Place the pan over a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring so the stock cube dissolves and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the turkey and onion to the pan and bring the contents of the pan back to a simmer. Simmer the mixture gently for about 20-30 mins, until the onion has softened.
- Add the red pepper and courgette to the pan and simmer the curry, uncovered for about 10 mins, until the vegetables have softened and the sauce is a coating consistency.
- Stir in most of the chopped coriander and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle remaining chopped coriander over the top. Serve the curry accompanied with boiled rice.
Top Tip for making Turkey tikka masala
Rather than just serving plain rice, add a bayleaf and some cardamon pods to the rice.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Beef tikka masala
This beef tikka masala recipe comes from a 1930s issue of Women's Weekly - and it's still a favourite. It's been updated slightly to reflect the ingredients that are available in supermarkets today.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Hairy Bikers' chicken curry
Chicken curry has to be one of our favourite recipes. You'll never look back once you've tried The Hairy Bikers' chicken curry recipe - it's so easy
By Hairy Bikers Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published